Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

I Hate Apple Products - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Hate Apple Products   I Hate Apple Products - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 3:14 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
Between 1986 and 1992 I had DOS-based machines
Between 1986 and 1995 you had DOS-based machines. Windows 3.1 was still an application running under DOS.

NoCoPilot wrote:
Okay, okay, calm down. Watch your blood pressure.
Hell, my blood pressure went up when I had to leave CP/M and move to DOS. Of course, it was easy, since DOS was mostly stolen CP/M code

Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: I Hate Apple Products   I Hate Apple Products - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 3:15 pm

Lisa wrote:
_Howard wrote:

So there's an example of a very knowledgeable person who migrated from Apples to PCs.

As opposed to the veritable moron who posted 5 posts ago, about switching.

Forgive me. It should have read "...another very knowledgeable person..."
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: I Hate Apple Products   I Hate Apple Products - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 3:20 pm

_Howard wrote:
NoCoPilot wrote:
Between 1986 and 1992 I had DOS-based machines
Between 1986 and 1995 you had DOS-based machines. Windows 3.1 was still an application running under DOS.
Technically correct but I was still "running Windows" in 1992 so we're both right.
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: I Hate Apple Products   I Hate Apple Products - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 3:35 pm

Well, for me it boils to I will never truly be able to afford Apple products and I will never truly enjoy being told what to do with my stuff once I buy it. So telling me about Apple is like telling me how hot Matt Boomer is. I can agree all day long but he's still gay and therefore out of my range. "But he's so incredibly hawt!" Yes, I know but he's still gay so his hotness is of limited use to me.
Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: I Hate Apple Products   I Hate Apple Products - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 3:39 pm

Between 1984-1994 *THE* place to buy a computer in Seattle was Ballard Computer.
http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19960906&slug=2347720
I was the service manager from 1989-1992. We sold PCs, Apples, high-end Sun stations, megabuck industrial plotters, early networking stuff.... it was very heady for the time. We had the Apple Lisa and the NeXT box, and a couple others I forget their names that never went public. I loved playing with all the toys, but I was a total DIY person at the time, writing all my own interface stuff.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: I Hate Apple Products   I Hate Apple Products - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 3:45 pm

Jenni wrote:
told what to do with my stuff once I buy it
To be fair, that's copyright law, not Apple. Anybody who tells you you can sell MP3s you have downloaded is contravening the law.
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: I Hate Apple Products   I Hate Apple Products - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 3:50 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
Jenni wrote:
told what to do with my stuff once I buy it
To be fair, that's copyright law, not Apple. Anybody who tells you you can sell MP3s you have downloaded is contravening the law.
Oh, come on. You know I'm not talking about selling anything. I'm talking about the ability to transfer files however I please. If I give my friend my mp3 with my stuff on it nothing is going to wipe it out when she plugs it up. Yet, if I let the Ipod she gave me "sync" anything she bought on itunes will disappear. Which is wrong. Because giving someone material is not the equivalent of copying for sales it's the equivalent of passing a DVD or CD to a friend for them to enjoy after you have grown tired of it. If anybody can't tell the difference between those two things and how they are done and how they affect the market I know a bridge they need to buy.

Edit: In all fairness Kindle annoys me for the same reason. Again, there is simply a difference between me mass selling a stolen copy as happened to my friend Edie with her book and me wanting to pass my copy of Starting Strength on to another lifter. If copyright law was intended to prevent the mass sharing of books I know some libraries that would be in hot water.
Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: I Hate Apple Products   I Hate Apple Products - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 4:17 pm

Yep it's a grey area and libraries are a good counter-example. They've always been given extra leeway because of their "free-to-the-public" lending.

Copyright law has not kept up with technology. When music (and books and movies) were distributed on physical media (paperbacks, LPs, CDs and videotapes) the "first sale" doctrine came into effect, allowing owners to sell their tapes and records and buyers to buy used copies without incurring a new licensing fee. SCOTUS also ruled home taping was legal.

Of course all that goes out the window with digital media, where endless perfect copies can be made at the touch of a button.

Suddenly the copyright owners have no control over the distribution of their product, leading to such absurdities as authorities confiscating a 9-year-old's Winnie The Pooh laptop. The whole DRM fight is still very much ongoing, and several bills have been introduced to try to modernize copyright law.

In the meantime... copyrighted material downloaded by you cannot be legally transferred to anybody else. Given, sold, bequeathed all prohibited.

Apple -- who has very deep pockets -- is only covering their ass to avoid law enforcement coming after them.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: I Hate Apple Products   I Hate Apple Products - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 4:48 pm

With Steve Jobs dead, Apple is sure to lose some of its sex appeal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I Hate Apple Products   I Hate Apple Products - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

I Hate Apple Products
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2