Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Apple IOS   Empty
PostSubject: Apple IOS    Apple IOS   EmptyWed Oct 22, 2014 2:18 pm

After using the Apple program Find My iPhone, using a web browser connected to iCloud, I thought I would try the Find My Phone app to see if it got better location results. I got my wife's iPad to download the app. The App Store told me I had to have installed IOS 8.0 or later for the app.

Has anyone here installed IOS8.0-.2 on their Apple devices? There have been so many reports of major problems with these releases that I have stayed with 7.1.2.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Apple IOS   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IOS    Apple IOS   EmptyThu Oct 23, 2014 8:09 pm

I'm running 8.0.2 on my iPhone and iPad and was (past tense) on the laptop and wife's iPad. Only problem I've encountered is with the program Wikipanion, an improved GUI for Wikipedia. It immediately crashes on the iPad.

Runs fine on the phone(?).

Bug fix. Wikipanion will release a fix soon I'm sure.

Oh, and another weird problem -- on Scrabble, if you rotate the iPad orientation, the game rights itself but the keyboard stays upside down (really bizarre).

Otherwise, improved battery life. Improved connectivity. Improved stability. Some minor cosmetic tweaks. What reports of "major problems" have you seen?

Besides, 8.1 is now out apparently.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Apple IOS   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IOS    Apple IOS   EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 10:16 am

Good to hear that you are having no problems with the update.

Google will lead you to many articles and forums with complaints about various problems after 8.x updates, including connectivity problems with bluetooth and wi-fi, messaging problems, "no service" problems, intermittent rebooting, battery life shortened, slow performance issues, and on and on.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Apple IOS   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IOS    Apple IOS   EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 10:25 am

Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Apple IOS   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IOS    Apple IOS   EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 10:33 am

Some people have said they had no problems at all with the upgrades. Should I not believe them either? Do you think it's people at Microsoft making up this shit and posting it as Apple users?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Apple IOS   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IOS    Apple IOS   EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 12:54 pm

Microsoft has an entire division devoted to disinformation-- I believe it's called The Ministry of Truth.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Apple IOS   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IOS    Apple IOS   EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 1:21 pm

Corresponding to Apple's Ministry of Truthiness?

Apple makes some very clever devices. Unfortunately, their update system sucks the big one!

IOS 8, from the articles I've read, seems to have been designed specifically for the latest version of their products, primarily the iPhone 6. So if you have an older device, it may not have enough memory and/or processor power to run satisfactorily under the later system.

I know that, if I could, I would rather have IOS 6 on the iPad 2 and my iPhone 4S; they both ran better under that system. Unfortunately, Apple will not allow downgrading the OS. There are a couple of ways to do it, but then many of the apps would no longer work, and I haven't found a source for older version apps.

No wonder people buy the latest version of Apple products as soon as they are introduced - the one you have may be degraded by the newer OS. And if you keep your old OS, you may not be able to get the apps you want because Apple removes the app version for the old OS from iTunes.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Apple IOS   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IOS    Apple IOS   EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 3:50 pm

Buggy whips are getting hard to find too.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Apple IOS   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IOS    Apple IOS   EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 4:26 pm

Not really. Even Amazon has them.

It's not the "new" that irritates me, it's that the "new" is inferior to the old.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Apple IOS   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IOS    Apple IOS   EmptyFri Oct 24, 2014 8:03 pm

That's not really true Howard.

The new memory-intensive programs work just fine with the new higher-memory devices. You're trying to run Maserati software on a Beetle. Apple is much more of an integrated system, where software and hardware work together to do amazing things, than is Microsoft which is a mishmash of grandfathered standalone legacy systems.

Sure, it's a ploy to sell hardware. But the things you can do are amazing.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Apple IOS   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IOS    Apple IOS   EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 1:42 pm

Incidentally if you care I've upgraded to 8.1 on both my devices. It works fine. No major changes I've noticed -- it supposed to support the new Apple Pay is all I know.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Apple IOS   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IOS    Apple IOS   EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 2:25 pm

Thanks for the info. Are the devices you installed it on the latest versions? I'm waiting a bit before upgrading to see if any more problems pop up. The iPad Mini I bought for my wife is her business machine and she loves it. We can't take any chances of disabling that device (her IT dept. sucks).

BTW: I found a way to get the App Store to download earlier versions of programs on my devices (we have four now; see, I don't hate Apple). I didn't learn how to do it from Apple, though. I don't understand why they refuse to allow you to purchase an app for an earlier IOS version when they have the earlier versions of the apps and the ability to upload them.

I'm not sure I would call IOS 8.0 "Maserati" software. Maseratis run great when they're new; it's only when they get older that they give problems like 8.0 did when it was new. As far as my phone being a "beetle"; just two years ago, it was the top of the iPhone line. No device should be considered crap when it's only two years old and works fine with its extant software.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Apple IOS   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IOS    Apple IOS   EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 3:16 pm

Heh. Wikipanion still doesn't run. Smile
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Apple IOS   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IOS    Apple IOS   EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 3:19 pm

How about your keyboard orientation problem in scrabble? Did they get that fixed? I read about people having a problem with the display getting stuck permanently in landscape mode.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Apple IOS   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IOS    Apple IOS   EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 6:13 pm

I haven't tested it. Wait a second.

Yup. Still there.

These things are application problems. New IOSes probably wouldn't fix them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Apple IOS   Empty
PostSubject: Re: Apple IOS    Apple IOS   Empty

Back to top Go down

Apple IOS
Page 1 of 1