HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Movie: Let's Get Lost

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Movie: Let's Get Lost Empty
PostSubject: Movie: Let's Get Lost   Movie: Let's Get Lost EmptyFri Jan 19, 2024 7:52 am

This movie is about the trumpeter Chet Baker, but it's not really a biopic or a documentary. I takes a while to unwrap who Chet was, and only does so with reflections and missing words.

They interview friends and family, and there's interview footage from 1987 toward the end of his life. It's all in high-contrast black and white, as if to emphasize the noir story of his life.

He was model-pretty, and music came easily to him. He became a star in the 1950s, playing with everybody notable.

But the jazz world in the fifties was rife with drugs, and Chet became hooked on heroin. He lost all his recording contracts, he lost all his teeth, he lost his family. When he unexpectedly re-emerged twenty years later, he looked haggard and broken, and had to relearn how to play with dentures. He talked slowly and hesitantly, as if the very act of speaking was difficult for him.

Sad story, great music. Artists are often given extra leeway when they go off the tracks, but in his case it appears most people considered him unreliable and incapable of entering into any kind of contract. His children despised him.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Movie: Let's Get Lost Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie: Let's Get Lost   Movie: Let's Get Lost EmptySat Jan 20, 2024 9:29 am

Mentioned somewhat in passing was Chet's association with the baritone saxophonist Gerry Mulligan in 1952-3.  Their quartet was unusual, just the two horns, bass & drums, no piano or guitar.

I have some later Chet on CD, and a best-of.  Not the Mulligan sessions.

Looking online these sessions were collected in one of those Prestige two-LP sets, one I actually used to own.  And of course it's never been issued on CD.

So I set about yesterday to recreate it.  Surprisingly several of the tracks were not available anywhere. But by the same token, several more from this quartet were, even though they weren't on the LP set.  So I grabbed what I could of the LP, filled out the rest with with other 1952-3 quartet tracks. Overall a very pleasant listening experience, with a singular sound. Instead of playing in unison, as most horn sections did at the time, Chet and Gerry harmonized off each other, trading lead & harmony roles, and putting up some very inspired harmonizations.
Back to top Go down

Movie: Let's Get Lost
Page 1 of 1