HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Movie: The Lost World

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Movie: The Lost World Empty
PostSubject: Movie: The Lost World   Movie: The Lost World EmptyFri Mar 17, 2017 6:47 pm

1925 movie by Harry O. Hoyt, one of the first to feature stop-action dinosaurs (by Willis O'Brien, who went on to do "King Kong" eight years later, using some of the same clay models).  It's primitive and jerky, and there's no sense of scale or mass to these models (obviously miniatures).  However the integration with live action is surprisingly good for ninety years ago.

It's a silent film, with long stretches where the characters mouths are moving but there are no title frames.  I guess you're just supposed to intuit what they're saying.

The music -- Beethoven's Fourth Symphony I think -- is a more modern dub, in pretty good fidelity, but no attempt was made to match the music to the action.  Also, sections start over at random to fill the time.

The box shows colorized stills, though the movie is B&W.  This is a cheapo production (Alpha Video) with no end credits, bare bones menuing and a lot of jitter and missing frames.  Supposedly, some deluxe versions of this film feature an introductory message from the story's author, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

This is now the fourth oldest movie in my collection, behind Birth of a Nation (1915), The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920), and Nosferatu (1922).
Back to top Go down

Movie: The Lost World
Page 1 of 1