HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Rock Crawling

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Rock Crawling Empty
PostSubject: Rock Crawling   Rock Crawling EmptyFri Jan 07, 2022 6:18 pm

Sometimes, when I get sick and tired of covidinsurrectioncovidinsurrection, I flip over to MotorTrend channel and watch the gearheads chop up cars.  Full Custom Garage with Ian Roussel is a hoot because he builds one-off concept cars out of junkyard scrap.  The old British Top Gear was fun 'cos they did all sorts of wack things (the new American version is nothing but ads for over-priced luxury cars).

One show I run across occasionally builds "rock crawlers," high clearance Jeeps and Broncos designed to traverse boulders and creekbeds no sane driver would attempt.  A couple weeks ago they said their junkyard Monster Truck would compete with the $600,000 factory rock crawlers.

Really?  Somebody MAKES half-million dollar crates for despoiling the desert?  Somebody BUYS half-million dollar 5 MPH 10 GPM crates, so they can wreck 'em in the wilderness, a hundred miles from any tow truck?  (Predictably, I also ran across a show about a service in Utah that RESCUES stuck rock crawlers.  It is, unsurprisingly, very easy to get somewhere you can't get out of....)

Some people have WAYYY too much money.  As a kid I loved running my Tonka trucks in the vacant lot next door, but nobody got kilt when they rolled over, and it dint cost no $600,000 either.

Does it look like fun?  Yeah, kinda.
Back to top Go down

Rock Crawling
Page 1 of 1