HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Movie: Rock the Kasbah

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Movie: Rock the Kasbah Empty
PostSubject: Movie: Rock the Kasbah   Movie: Rock the Kasbah EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 12:28 pm

Bill Murray isn't always funny but I thought I'd give him a chance. I felt like taking in a movie at the local lunch-and-a-movie emporium. Pita bread and hummus and a chocolate chip shake.

Last edited by NoCoPilot on Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Rock the Kasbah   Movie: Rock the Kasbah EmptyFri Oct 23, 2015 3:16 pm

Okay it won't win any awards but it wasn't bad.  Nice warm heart and good performances all around.  Kate Hudson is a hoot as "the base whore" and Bruce Willis was a kind of one-man Blackwater. Murray plays a talent promoter who is reduced to taking his one client on a USO tour of Afghanistan -- surely the bottom of the barrel. The scene showing Zoey Deschanel asking, "Wait a second -- did you say body armor???" is classic.

The scenes of Afghanistan -- actually filmed in Morocco -- looked believable and the portrayal of Pashtun rivalries that ruled local politics sounded about right, from what I've read. The film was not dismissive of local politics, but portrayed them accurately and sympathetically -- while still pointing out their absurdity to outsiders.

I guess the central story -- Pashtun girl sings on Afghan Star TV show -- was based on a real event. Doubt it happened anything like this though.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Rock the Kasbah   Movie: Rock the Kasbah EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 12:07 pm

Nope, Setara Hoseinzadeh did not win the competition, and has lived in fear of her life ever since. And there was a second female contestant, Lema Sahar, who went even further in the competition.

Oh well, Barry Levenson's version fits in better with American prejudices.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Rock the Kasbah   Movie: Rock the Kasbah EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 3:10 pm

Soldier's views on Afghanistan local politics, when they actually encounter it.

15 US Soldiers Reveal The Truth About Their Time In Afghanistan.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Rock the Kasbah   Movie: Rock the Kasbah EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 3:19 pm

I've never been in Afghanistan, but many of those remarks sound very familiar.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Rock the Kasbah   Movie: Rock the Kasbah EmptySat Oct 24, 2015 5:31 pm

Yes, this sounds AWFULLY familiar:
Quote :
I had in my mind that it would be these organized ambushes, against a somewhat organized force. It may have been like that for the push (Marjah), but once the initial defense was scattered, the fighting turned into some farmer getting paid a year's salary to go fire an AK47 at our patrol as we walked by. I mean, no wonder there was so much PTSD going around...it doesn't feel okay when you killed some farmer for trying to feed his kids, or save his family from torture that next night. It feels like shit actually.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Rock the Kasbah   Movie: Rock the Kasbah Empty

Back to top Go down

Movie: Rock the Kasbah
Page 1 of 1