Movie: Jurassic World

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Movie: Jurassic World Empty
PostSubject: Movie: Jurassic World   Movie: Jurassic World EmptyFri Jun 12, 2015 9:12 am

I have a ticket for this afternoon.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Jurassic World   Movie: Jurassic World EmptyFri Jun 12, 2015 3:30 pm

There's a containment problem in one of the paddocks.

Last edited by NoCoPilot on Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Jurassic World   Movie: Jurassic World EmptyFri Jun 12, 2015 3:47 pm

I'm shocked.
But as Jon Stewart says, "Learning curves are for pussies."
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Jurassic World   Movie: Jurassic World EmptyFri Jun 12, 2015 4:07 pm

Yeah well the plot was never going to be much of a surprise. Bad guys wreak havoc, dinosaurs escape, uptight woman saves the day.

3D effects have gotten MUCH better in the past few years. The many shots of helicopters flying over the trees looked really good.

The dinosaurs looked even better than the original JP.

The ending started to peg my belief-o-meter, but then I remembered it's science fiction, with the emphasis on fiction.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Jurassic World   Movie: Jurassic World EmptyFri Jun 12, 2015 4:39 pm

In this case, I think I would prefer the term paleo-fiction.

As long as it's better than the horrid second of the films, I might give it a go.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Jurassic World   Movie: Jurassic World EmptyFri Jun 12, 2015 4:55 pm

I enjoyed the first 3/4 of it immensely, and the last 1/4 somewhat less.

It's a big dumb summer blockbuster, expect nothing more.
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Jurassic World   Movie: Jurassic World EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 5:23 pm

Woo hoo! I can't wait to go!

(I'm just totally shallow in my pop culture pickings, I can practically feel NoCo rolling his eyes at me, lol)
Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Jurassic World   Movie: Jurassic World EmptyTue Jun 16, 2015 6:09 pm

My sister-in-law is visiting around July 4th, and it's kind of traditional that at some point, I need to separate the two females before they come to blows. So, I take her to the movies. I'm guessing that Jurassic World in Imax 3D might well be the movie of choice this time.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Jurassic World   Movie: Jurassic World EmptyFri Jul 10, 2015 10:03 am

OK, we went and saw it. The day before, I saw a review that described it as "a movie about people running away from stuff", and it certainly was. But with the IMAX and 3D, it was actually a pretty entertaining way to pass a couple of hours. And we noticed that the creepy mad scientist (BD Wong) escaped, so clearly they have left the door open for yet another sequel.

The 3D these days is really amazing. There were a couple of trailers for Everest and The Walk that left both of us with vertigo and nausea, which might not be the best way to get us to see them.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Jurassic World   Movie: Jurassic World EmptyMon Jul 13, 2015 9:00 am

Huh, I did not get a preview for The Walk.  Is that in 3D high def?  I have seen Man on a Wire about the same event and that's vertiginous enough.

Everest I did get the preview, it looked pretty scary.  I believe I have posted before about a documentary called The Alps from Above which is nothing but absolutely jaw-dropping footage of mountain climbers and glacier traversers shot from helicopters.  It wasn't 3D but it's the highest-definition video (4k?) I own.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Jurassic World   Movie: Jurassic World EmptyMon Jul 13, 2015 10:40 am

Sony Pictures Entertainment wrote:
With innovative photorealistic techniques and IMAX 3D wizardry, The Walk is true big-screen cinema, a chance for moviegoers to viscerally experience the feeling of reaching the clouds.

The combination of IMAX and 3D is powerful. I don't know that seeing it on a small screen (even in 3D) would be nearly so good.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Jurassic World   Movie: Jurassic World EmptyMon Jul 13, 2015 10:49 am

Do they provide airsickness bags at the door?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Jurassic World   Movie: Jurassic World EmptyMon Jul 13, 2015 12:07 pm

Small towns don't have IMAX, so that's not an option for me. I remember 3D from the fifties; I hope it's better now. It was laughable back then.

I just wish they would make some movies with decent stories, writing, and acting.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Jurassic World   Movie: Jurassic World EmptyMon Jul 13, 2015 12:28 pm

3D is better now, much better.  Especially in IMAX, the wrap-around sensation is very immersive.

Sorry Grandpa -- Ronald Colman, Errol Flynn and Margaret Dumont aren't making pictures anymore.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Jurassic World   Movie: Jurassic World EmptyMon Jul 13, 2015 12:32 pm

I have an idea for a great new movie, the working title is "Fuck You."
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Jurassic World   Movie: Jurassic World EmptyMon Jul 13, 2015 12:46 pm

Based no doubt on this great Harry Nilsson song:
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Jurassic World   Movie: Jurassic World EmptyMon Jul 13, 2015 2:19 pm

One of the great lyricists of our time. We're trying to get him to write the score.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Jurassic World   Movie: Jurassic World EmptyWed Nov 25, 2015 2:45 pm

My wife brought the DVD home a few days ago, so I finally saw this thing. What a horrible movie. Not one surprise in the whole damned thing. The only good thing about it was the special effects -great dinosaurs - but that's not enough to make a good flick, which this wasn't.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Jurassic World   Movie: Jurassic World EmptyWed Nov 25, 2015 3:39 pm

yeah but the idea that the big mama dinosaur could fake her own escape to fool the human -- or that the smaller icthiosaurs could communicate with her and start working cooperatively -- that's some scary stuff. Dinosaurs are always depicted as big dumb lumbering beasts but they wouldn't have survived 200 million years if they were.

It's about time mankind knocked ourselves down a peg in the "we'reawesomometer".
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Jurassic World   Movie: Jurassic World EmptyWed Nov 25, 2015 9:01 pm

It is a movie that needs the big screen, though. I wouldn't bother watching it on TV.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Jurassic World   Movie: Jurassic World EmptyThu Nov 26, 2015 6:37 am

richard09 wrote:
It is a movie that needs the big screen, though. I wouldn't bother watching it on TV.
Agreed -- but screen size does not affect the plot, which as I mentioned in my initial review, could have been written down on the back of your ticket by every patron before entering the theatre.

Last weekend I went record shopping -- actually, my goal was to get a contact email address to mail my LPs For Sale database too -- and this particular store also carries DVDs and they had the first Blu-ray I'd seen of Jurassic World.  I picked it up and carried it around, intending to buy it.

Until I started to remember the movie.  Although I have the other three Jurassic Parks on DVD already, did I REALLY want to watch #4 again?  I decided not, and put the disc back on the shelf.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Jurassic World   Movie: Jurassic World EmptySat Nov 28, 2015 7:23 am

Last night on TV Mrs NoCo and I watched "The Land That Time Forgot" (1975).  Contrasting this with "Jurassic World" is a fun exercise.

In TLTTF the dinosaurs are small rubber puppets, whose mouths move but nothing else.  Therefore when glimpsed through the underbrush they kind of glide across the landscape.  When they attack it is very slowly and leaves plenty of time for the people to step aside.  They are portrayed as big, dumb and slow -- as was common in 1975-- and thus not especially scary.

Of course the movie's budget (or lack thereof) didn't help.  The puppets were obvious, the pterodactyls didn't flap their wings (they just glided up into the air), the boat models made no attempt to adjust for scale and whenever anybody was shot, they fell down without blood.  It was laughably amateurish.

JW, for all its plot (or lack thereof), at least could not be accused of being laughably amateurish.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Jurassic World   Movie: Jurassic World EmptyWed Dec 02, 2015 4:10 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
 It was laughably amateurish.
No, it was 1975.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Jurassic World   Movie: Jurassic World EmptyWed Dec 02, 2015 4:37 pm

Jaws was not amateurish. One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest was not amateurish. Death Race 2000 was not amateurish (okay, maybe it was.)
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Jurassic World   Movie: Jurassic World EmptyWed Dec 02, 2015 5:39 pm

Yeah, the dinosaurs in those movies were outstanding.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Jurassic World   Movie: Jurassic World Empty

Back to top Go down

Movie: Jurassic World
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next