HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Book: The Common Good

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Book: The Common Good Empty
PostSubject: Book: The Common Good   Book: The Common Good EmptyThu Apr 12, 2018 6:03 pm

Robert Reich’s latest book is a small plea for common sense, for inclusiveness over narcissism, for rejecting the Ayn Rand greed that has come to define one party, for striving for a shared truth so that the rot caused by “alternative facts” and mistrust of public institutions can be stopped and reversed.

His message is terribly important — but will inevitably be dismissed as partisan by those who profit from the other viewpoint.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: The Common Good   Book: The Common Good EmptyThu Apr 12, 2018 7:26 pm

Reich pins the blame for the breakdown of civic responsibility on, among other things, Nixon’s not going to jail. Couldn’t have said it better.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: The Common Good   Book: The Common Good EmptyThu Apr 12, 2018 8:23 pm

_Howard wrote:
You have a ridiculous amount of optimism, NoCo.

America's problems are well illuminated and obvious. The author of that article referenced the real problem a couple of times: extreme capitalism. It is an unworkable system when competing against (supposed) democracy. Democracy and unfettered capitalism cannot survive as a composite system.
Yikes.  Reich is singing from your hymnbook and almost has me convinced.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: The Common Good   Book: The Common Good EmptyFri Apr 13, 2018 11:42 am

In delving into the origins of the decline of common decency, Reich has a chapter entitled “Honor and Shame.” He makes the point that since sometime around the Reagan years, people began being honored for all the wrong reasons. These are my examples, not his, but I think he’s on to something.

“Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous” glorified get-rich-quick athletes and movie stars who blew all their money on lavish mansions and exotic cars. Nobody asked, where are the investments in their former neighborhoods? Nobody asked, where are the foundations to send poor children to college? No, it was all me me me look how rich I am, I can light cigars with $100 bills.

Fame and infamy became synonymous. People started thinking getting your name in the paper (or more current, your face on TV) for shooting up a gradeschool was a laudable goal.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: The Common Good   Book: The Common Good EmptySat Apr 14, 2018 11:26 am

Students these days aren’t even taught the basic organization of the US government that immigrants are required to know for citizenship.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Book: The Common Good   Book: The Common Good EmptySat Apr 14, 2018 11:51 am

I doubt that is true.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book: The Common Good   Book: The Common Good Empty

Back to top Go down

Book: The Common Good
Page 1 of 1