What I'm Drinking Tonight

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 5 EmptyMon May 23, 2016 1:07 pm

New Belgium makes some fine beers. Don't think I've had their black lager.

Looks like Shiner makes one too.

Shiner's website lists the bitterness for all their beers, the Bock is 13, the black ale is I think 11, the strawberry blonde is also 11, and they have a light blonde that's 9. Might have to look for that.

Normal ales and IPAs are up around 55-60.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 5 EmptyMon May 23, 2016 3:24 pm

I'm working on a bottle of Squinzano. I think it's pretty good, and these reviewers seem to agree.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 5 EmptyMon May 23, 2016 6:39 pm

The Beer Connoisseur wrote:
One of the most ubiquitous and least comprehensible methods of navigating the heavy seas is the IBU scale.

IBU is an abbreviation for the International Bitterness Units scale, a gauge of beer's bitterness. What IBUs measure are the parts per million of isohumulone found in a beer.

Isohumulone is the acid found in hops that gives beer its bitter bite. Though the IBU scale can be used as a general guideline for taste, with lower IBUs corresponding to less bitterness and vice versa, it's important to note that malt and other flavors can mask the taste of bitterness in beer.

Therefore, a beer with 20 IBUs and a minimal malt character may have significantly more bitter taste than a beer with 60 IBUs and a powerful malt profile.

This has led to some debate amongst the craft community about how useful the IBU scale really is. IBUs aren't always reliable indicators of how beer tastes, depending on the style and ingredients. And the scale itself doesn’t account for a variety of factors that affect the actual taste of bitterness in a brew.

As a Gravity/Hops Ratio chart shows, the more malt that is used in brewing, the higher the gravity will be, or the amount of fermentable sugar in the brew. The higher the gravity, the more hop bitterness will be masked. Also, no two brewing setups are the same, meaning the utilization, or rate at which flavor and bittering elements of hops dissolve into beer is never the same.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 5 EmptyThu May 26, 2016 12:21 pm

Sterkens White Ale (Old Belgium)

Not recommended. For me, it was undrinkable.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 5 EmptyThu May 26, 2016 12:48 pm

Y.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2016 5:26 pm

Y? Because I thought it tasted like crap.
I gave the unopened bottles to the handyman.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 01, 2016 5:29 pm

Firestone Opal Farmhouse Ale.

A touch of IPA, but not overpowering. Quite tasty.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2016 4:49 pm

Tonight it's a moscatel. Not sure how much I like it, I really prefer reds.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2016 5:35 pm

richard09 wrote:
Tonight it's a moscatel. Not sure how much I like it, I really prefer reds.
Quote :
Nose: Lychee and musk
Yikes.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 02, 2016 7:20 pm

Yeah. Supposedly it's good with seafood. I'm using it to accompany jerk chicken, and to be honest, I think my choice is better. The funkiness stands up to the spiciness. I'd prefer something a bit cleaner against fish.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 5 EmptySun Jun 12, 2016 4:52 pm

Tonight it's a California merlot called Apple Pie. Stupid name, and not a great wine. But not too bad either. Pretty smooth, really, I've certainly drunk worse.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 13, 2016 4:18 am

Did I mention my new favorite merlot? It's 14 Hands. Very complex and smooth, not a trace of the tannins often found in the less expensive reds. $7.99
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 27, 2016 4:13 pm

Stickee Monkey.

Out-fucking-standing!

Get some of this if you can find it. You will not be disappointed. Pour a few ounces in a red wine glass and make your day complete. Go easy and sip like wine; its 11.6% ABV.

And it's from a local brewery about eight miles up the road, Firestone Walker.

I'm inclined to describe this brewery as the best in the world. That may be pushing it a little, but certainly not much. Every time I try a new brew from them, I am delighted.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 27, 2016 6:12 pm

Quote :
A Belgian Quad by recipe, but aging it in spirits barrels garners its own category: Central Coast Quad. A beer formulated to sit on the sweeter and malty side so that we could utilize it for blending. Turbinado brown sugar from Mexico and Belgian candi sugar add wonderful molasses flavors. It has a full body and lush texture with barrel expression all over this beer: toasted oak, coconut, leather and cigar tobacco.
Cigar tobacco???
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 27, 2016 6:23 pm

You were hoping maybe hashish?

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 5 EmptyMon Jun 27, 2016 7:36 pm

Prefer to keep my drink and my smoke separate.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 5 EmptyTue Jun 28, 2016 6:25 am

I bought a case of red wine from Naked Wines, mostly because I had a voucher for $100, so net I was only paying about $10 a bottle. It's all California, mostly zinfandel, and I know less about American wine than I do about stuff from other countries. But what I've drunk so far has actually been pretty good. For instance, Rumpus Red. What I got was 2014, not 2009, but I agree with the reviews. Nice and smooth and dry enough you can drink it on it's own, but also very good as table wine.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 5 EmptyTue Jul 05, 2016 2:54 pm

Tonight it's Illuminate Wines North Coast Red Blend. Sweeter than I like, but not so sweet that I can't drink it. And quite smooth, with a bite of acid that makes it better.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 5 EmptySat Jul 30, 2016 11:35 pm

In the heat, I've been drinking a lot of Stella Artois. OK, so it's not what you would call complex, but it's refreshing, and doesn't give you a fucked up hangover like cheap American beer.

Today is cooler (and wetter), so it's back to zinfandel. Karen Birmingham Lodi 2013 - very tasty, except after 2-3 glasses I'm getting dizzy. But I drank some other stuff before the wine (never a good idea).
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 5 EmptySun Jul 31, 2016 2:53 pm

My wife introduced me to Stella Artois. A very good beer, if a bit light.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 5 EmptySun Jul 31, 2016 5:47 pm

Stella is a pretty typical Belgian Pilsner, now brewed by Annheiser-Busch. It's a good well-rounded everyday beer.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 5 EmptySun Jul 31, 2016 6:00 pm

That's how I like it - every day.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 5 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2016 6:24 pm

I bought a case of Spanish wine through Laithwaites. I know pretty much nothing about Spanish wine, but I've grown to trust Laithwaites - I used to belong to one of their wine clubs (years ago), and in more recent times I've bought one or two of their special offers, and I don't think they've sent me a bad wine yet. Just picking one at random, I've opened a bottle of Nido De Abeja 123 Reserva La Mancha, and I'm quite enjoying it. Generally speaking, I really go for the red Rhone wines, Cotes du Rhone and Chateauneuf du Pape and like that. This Reserva isn't as heavy as one of those, but it's smooth and the flavor is complex, seeming to hit different notes on different mouthfuls. Very nice.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 5 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2016 6:57 pm

First World Problems Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 09, 2016 3:31 pm

What with futzing around with various things, I seem to have accumulated quite a stock of wine. So I'm drinking a couple of glasses each evening to try and reduce the backlog. Tonight I opened a bottle of Los Hermanos Manzanos Reserva Rioja 2010, and was immediately impressed. Very berry aroma, and extremely smooth.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What I'm Drinking Tonight   What I'm Drinking Tonight - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

What I'm Drinking Tonight
Page 5 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next