HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Book: The End of the World is Only The Beginning

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Book: The End of the World is Only The Beginning Empty
PostSubject: Book: The End of the World is Only The Beginning   Book: The End of the World is Only The Beginning EmptyTue Feb 21, 2023 7:06 am

Kind of the polar opposite of "Factfulness," this 2022 book by Peter Zeihan argues that globalization has run its course, and now the world economy is headed for a new paradigm.

So far the author is all doom-and-gloom.  I hope he's not right.

I liked Rosling's optimism better, and it seemed pretty well documented.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: The End of the World is Only The Beginning   Book: The End of the World is Only The Beginning EmptyWed Feb 22, 2023 4:40 pm

The early chapters present a breezy, light-hearted (if overly simplistic) history of the rise of culture, but as of Chapter 5 Zeihan is seriously spinning out of control. He bemoans the decline in birth rate in industrialized societies, never once mentioning its rock-solid tie to infant mortality. He claims the change in demographics will be fatal to civilization, never once stopping to consider that mechanization means fewer people are needed to thresh the wheat.

Never mind issues of the carrying capacity of Mother Earth.

I hope this clown gets back on track. He's losing me.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: The End of the World is Only The Beginning   Book: The End of the World is Only The Beginning EmptyMon Feb 27, 2023 11:44 am

Debbie Downer wrote:
Between the demographic inversion and the end of globalization, we are not simply ending our long experience with [always wanting] more, or even beginning a terrifying new world of less; we face economic free fall as everything that has underpinned humanity's economic existence since the Renaissance unwinds all at once.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: The End of the World is Only The Beginning   Book: The End of the World is Only The Beginning EmptyMon Feb 27, 2023 1:52 pm

The author makes the curious assertion that returning vets from WWI caused such a glut in the labor market that it contributed to the Great Depression.

For one thing, the timing is all wrong: 1918 to 1929 is eleven years. Second, the 1918 flu epidemic reduced surplus workers considerably. Third, wasn't the Depression caused by drought and over-fertilization leading to massive crop failures, compounded by wild reckless speculation in the Stock Market?

This author has not only gone off the rails, he's spilling toxic chemicals.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: The End of the World is Only The Beginning   Book: The End of the World is Only The Beginning EmptyWed Mar 01, 2023 2:20 pm

Every ten pages or so the author throws in a chart or graph to illustrate the point he's making, and I have NEVER ever seen so many totally unhelpful charts. Not a single one of them makes a lick of sense.

That's it. No reason to finish this pile of crap just to find things to complain about. I'm done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book: The End of the World is Only The Beginning   Book: The End of the World is Only The Beginning Empty

Back to top Go down

Book: The End of the World is Only The Beginning
Page 1 of 1