HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Book: Pepper - A History of the World's Most Influential Spice

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Book: Pepper - A History of the World's Most Influential Spice Empty
PostSubject: Book: Pepper - A History of the World's Most Influential Spice   Book: Pepper - A History of the World's Most Influential Spice EmptyFri Oct 02, 2015 11:14 am

Yesterday I ordered the above book.  When I was in Amsterdam, the history of the city was laid out in the Amsterdam Museum and one of the main themes was that the port city of Amsterdam was founded as a central distribution channel for the worldwide trade in pepper.  Back in the days before refrigeration, salt was valued as a meat preservative and pepper was valued to kill the taste of half-rotted meat.  Over the millennia pepper has been central to the economies of almost all early civilizations.  It was the first product with a world-wide market and in fact the demand was so great it more-or-less created global marketing.

Anyway, I was thinking about this when I refilled my pepper-grinder this week, and decided to read up.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: Pepper - A History of the World's Most Influential Spice   Book: Pepper - A History of the World's Most Influential Spice EmptyMon Mar 09, 2020 6:32 am

Hmmm, 4-1/2 years later this book sits on my "to read" shelf. Time to give it another whirl.

I'm desperate for anything not political.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: Pepper - A History of the World's Most Influential Spice   Book: Pepper - A History of the World's Most Influential Spice EmptySat Mar 14, 2020 1:04 pm

Read about 40% of it. Pepper trade was the first global commerce, the Dutch and English competed for dominance in the market, many sailors died, many Sumatran rulers were cheated by the Europeans.

Ho hum.

Eventually so much pepper was imported that it no longer was used as a unit of currency and became just another spice. I think this is where I came in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book: Pepper - A History of the World's Most Influential Spice   Book: Pepper - A History of the World's Most Influential Spice Empty

Back to top Go down

Book: Pepper - A History of the World's Most Influential Spice
Page 1 of 1