HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

What is this movie?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
richard09

richard09

What is this movie? Empty
PostSubject: What is this movie?   What is this movie? EmptyWed Dec 18, 2019 5:30 pm

For the past couple of weeks (at least) I've been driving myself nuts. I have got into the habit of going to sleep with movies on the TV. Usually, I put on something I've seen before, so I don't actually have to watch it and can drift off with familiar noises in the background. I know, I should be using the sound machine to listen to rain or something, but somehow that just hasn't been cutting it for me. A movie that I've already seen six times, however, provides a comforting backdrop, somehow. Anyway, that's not the problem.

The thing is, sometimes I put on a movie I'm not familiar with. And a few weeks ago, I put on a horror movie where a girl who is somewhat withdrawn and a loner finds that the girl in the bathroom mirror isn't exactly like her. They look alike, of course, but the doppelganger in the mirror suggests swapping places, and they do. And the doppelganger turns out to be more extrovert, a bit slutty, and generally more interesting.

And that's where the problem arises. I fell asleep. I can't remember the title of the movie, but I think it was on HBO. I don't know if it was recent or a few years old. I don't know any of the actors. I don't know how the plot resolves (are we talking identity disorder or a demon or what? No idea.) I can't find it anywhere on the "on demand" movies available from cable (whether HBO or not). And I have no idea how I could search for it on something like IMDB, given I only know the start of the plot.

Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What is this movie?   What is this movie? EmptyWed Dec 18, 2019 6:11 pm

Maybe “Look Away” (2018)?

Last edited by NoCoPilot on Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What is this movie?   What is this movie? EmptyWed Dec 18, 2019 6:31 pm

I think that's it. I'll try to watch it to confirm.

I'm impressed with the speed of response, regardless. TYVM.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What is this movie?   What is this movie? EmptyWed Dec 18, 2019 6:34 pm

I just googled “girl in the mirror.”

Glad to have a diversion from cable news. Mrs NoCo said "It looks like "Carrie" on ice."
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What is this movie?   What is this movie? EmptyFri Dec 20, 2019 6:45 am

NoCoPilot wrote:
I just googled “girl in the mirror.”

For some reason that never occurred to me. I would have thought you'd get way too many results, but I guess it shows I'm getting intellectually lazy.

That was indeed the movie. It was still available on demand, but the description in the menus showed a picture of a guy and described some other movie, so I didn't recognize it.

Not a great movie, but not a terrible one either. The mirror scenes were done well, and most of the lead performances were good. It definitely generated some creepy moments.
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: What is this movie?   What is this movie? EmptyFri Dec 20, 2019 10:44 am

You'd be surprised. I was thinking about one the other day and all I could remember was that the story took place on a planet that was half light and half dark. That's about all I had to Google to get it. White Dwarf. Popped right up. Pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What is this movie?   What is this movie? EmptyFri Dec 20, 2019 8:05 pm

One that I saw on TV many years ago was a WW2 movie, British I should think. The plot-line was a plan to give disinformation to the Nazis by letting them capture a "spy" and torture the false information out of him. Not very nice already. They choose a man they think will break under torture, and prime him with the disinformation (of course, he thinks it's real). Then they send him into enemy territory in a way that they know will result in him being captured. You see him being repeatedly tortured by drowning, similar to water-boarding.

And he doesn't break. At some point, he is back in a cell, being given a rest, and he decides he can't take it any more. But he has managed to retain a suicide pill, so he takes that. And the bastards had given him a fake pill, because they wanted him to spill the (fake) beans. So he does, but it was only the fake pill that broke his spirit.

And the rest of the movie is about how he is a broken man as a result of all this.

I don't think any easy Google search will find this one.
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: What is this movie?   What is this movie? EmptySat Dec 21, 2019 9:17 am

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What is this movie?   What is this movie? EmptySat Dec 21, 2019 10:58 am

IMDB wrote:
In 1944, prior to the Allied landings in Normandy, British Intelligence is anxious to mislead the Germans regarding the actual landing sites. The logical place for landings is Pas-De-Calais, France, where the distance between UK and France is shortest. The Germans know it and expect the Allies to land there. However, the Allies plan to land in Normandy but they continue in misleading the Germans about landings in Pas De Calais. British Navy Captain Thomas Rawson, in charge of an intelligence unit, plans to mislead the Germans by dropping a British officer in their lap. That officer would be misled himself to believe that Pas-De-Calais is the correct area. Then, he would be sent there, to coordinate French resistance. In reality, he would be sacrificed to the Gestapo.The ideal patsy should resist interrogation under torture, if captured, but should eventually crack and reveal what he knows. Of course, he would reveal what he was told by British Intelligence, which is plain misinformation. Thus misinformed, the Germans would concentrate their troops in the wrong area, leaving the landing zones vulnerable. The British spy sent to France with the fake information would willingly be sacrificed to Gestapo torture. However, he would have a cyanide capsule logged inside a tooth, if torture would escalate. The selected volunteer is Canadian Captain Paul Raine who's bilingual, had lived in France and could pass for a Frenchman. British Intelligence is secretly assessing him via Capt. Thomas Rawson's pretty secretary, Lucy. What starts as a test changes to love when Lucy and Paul fall for each other. She's pained about sending an unsuspecting Paul to certain capture, torture and death. Not suspecting being a pawn in an elaborate misinformation game, Paul insists in volunteering. He reassures Lucy about his return but she knows the truth about his mission. Her misgivings are belated. The die is cast!
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What is this movie?   What is this movie? EmptySat Dec 21, 2019 5:46 pm

You guys are good.
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: What is this movie?   What is this movie? EmptySat Dec 21, 2019 9:51 pm

I just copy pasted what you wrote into Google. But I may watch the movie now, it sounds cool.
Got sidetracked today because Netflix all of a sudden has Forbidden Planet.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What is this movie?   What is this movie? EmptySat Dec 21, 2019 10:17 pm

Great movie.  Great adaptation of Shakespeare's "The Tempest."  Leslie Nielsen as a kid(!)
What is this movie? 300px-ForbiddenPlanet1
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: What is this movie?   What is this movie? EmptySun Dec 22, 2019 3:51 pm

Bearing in mind the one time I saw that movie was more than fifty years ago, I'm impressed I remembered the plot well enough to be recognized. Although, to be fair, the scenario was nasty enough to stick in my impressionable young mind.
Jenni wrote:
I may watch the movie now, it sounds cool.
What the Allies actually did was use a dead body, not a live one. But that was for a different invasion.
The Man Who Never Was

I don't usually use Google for searches. I tried putting what I wrote into DuckDuckGo and it didn't work. Tried Google and the movie popped right up. Bugger it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What is this movie?   What is this movie? Empty

Back to top Go down

What is this movie?
Page 1 of 1