HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Reading Background

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Reading Background Empty
PostSubject: Reading Background   Reading Background EmptyFri Oct 11, 2013 7:05 pm

I have always enjoyed reading to lite classical music, or other instrumental music which can block out distractions without calling attention to itself. A few years ago -- okay MANY years ago -- I discovered environmental recordings for this, like the Environments records and Gordon Hempton and Bernie Krause. I have a huge collection (even by my own standards) of environmental recordings, including all sorts of wonderful soundscapes.

As a dedicated user of Pandora I have looked in vain for any environmental offerings on their service. Have been rather disappointed I could not find any.

However.

This week, while searching for something else, I accidentally stumbled on a nest of environmental recordings, many with HD video, on YouTube of all places. These are anywhere from an hour to two hours, three hours, four hours even ten hours long. In gorgeous high fidelity sound with appropriate visuals.

This works out swell with my home entertainment system because I have a couple ways to access YouTube, via AppleTV or via Blue-ray. I can pop one of these videos onto the big living room system and read to the sounds of falling rain, a gentle mountain creek, wind in the trees or a verdant tropical waterfall.

Delicious.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Reading Background Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading Background   Reading Background EmptyFri Nov 29, 2013 4:39 pm

I do most of my reading in bed at night. I just open the window and get the sounds of deer cropping the crass near the house, owls hooting, coyotes howling, and the occasional mountain lion advertising his horniness. That will do it for me. Can't get much more environmental.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Reading Background Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading Background   Reading Background EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 10:45 am

Yeah but you don't have IMAX.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Reading Background Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading Background   Reading Background EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 10:50 am

Yes I do - every time I look outside.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Reading Background Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading Background   Reading Background EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 10:52 am

Can you fast-forward, rewind and change the channel?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Reading Background Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading Background   Reading Background EmptyTue Dec 03, 2013 10:56 am

My brain often does all of those at once. Flashback, dude!

Can you fast forward IMAX?

Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

Reading Background Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading Background   Reading Background EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 11:25 pm

Razz 

I like both.

I found a site that does rain sound. I keep it low enough the thunder doesn't bother the dogs.
But we have an owl here and I like that too.

It just depends. Right now it's cold so YT and Pandora it is.
Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

Reading Background Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading Background   Reading Background Empty

Back to top Go down

Reading Background
Page 1 of 1