HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Movie: I Am Your Father

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Movie: I Am Your Father Empty
PostSubject: Movie: I Am Your Father   Movie: I Am Your Father EmptyWed Nov 16, 2016 8:11 pm

A 2015 documentary about David Prowse, the 6'6" English bodybuilder who played Darth Vader.

Except... he sorta didn't, did he.  He was covered head-to-toe in the costume, and never took off his mask.  His voice was overdubbed by James Earl Jones, because Prowse himself has a distinct British accent (he performed the lines on-set).  In the third film -- when Vader removes his mask as he dies -- a different actor, Sebastian Shaw, was used -- because Prowse didn't look old enough at the time.  Prowse didn't actually find out about this until he saw the completed film!

Prowse also didn't find out that Vader was revealed to be Luke's father (in the second film) until he saw it in cinema.  On set, he'd been given different dialog to perform, and neither David nor Mark knew anything from filming the scene.  Apparently this was a last-minute twist, created during post-production.

Prowse also discovered that some of Darth's earlier scenes had been filmed using a stunt double, unbeknownst to him.

In some of the lightsaber fight scenes, Prowse was replaced by the stunt coordinator because Prowse kept breaking the sticks used as saber pre-production props.

Why all the shoddy treatment?  Well, Prowse was accused by LucasFilms of leaking some plot details to the press -- a big no-no on a Lucas film -- but it turns out he was falsely accused.  The Daily Mail, who reported the leaks, confirmed they didn't come from Prowse but rather some technical people on the film.  Prowse has proclaimed his innocence over and over to LucasFilms but they don't talk to him anymore.  They have shut him out.   LucasFilm is actually blackballing Prowse, refusing to let him attend any of the Star Wars conventions, in or out of his Darth Vader costume.  The filmmaker of this documentary was refused usage of any Star Wars footage, and was refused permission to re-film the climactic mask-removal scene using the real, now age-appropriate (eighty years old), David Prowse.

He did it anyway.

But he could not show it in the documentary due to copyright.

George Lucas refused to be interviewed for this documentary, or even to provide a statement.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

Movie: I Am Your Father Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie: I Am Your Father   Movie: I Am Your Father EmptyThu Nov 17, 2016 5:22 pm

Prowse is a sad case in another way. Serious arthritis has pretty much crippled him over the last 30 years or so.
Back to top Go down

Movie: I Am Your Father
Page 1 of 1