HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bizarre Printer Symptom

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Bizarre Printer Symptom Empty
PostSubject: Bizarre Printer Symptom   Bizarre Printer Symptom EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 10:18 am

In the building where my new job is, I have to print across the building to do a color print, and the printer has a very odd, and ongoing (because nobody can figure it out), problem.

If you have any of the following letter combinations -- ti, tt, ff -- the printer simply leaves a space where the letters should be.  Any color, any font, any point size.

Needless to say, this is a color laser, not a print wheel.  And needless to say, this makes any document instantly worthless.

Exceedingly weird.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Printer Symptom   Bizarre Printer Symptom EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 10:29 am

That is strange.

Brings to mind a somewhat similar problem I had in 1980. My Mergenthaler typesetting printer, which was the first digital typesetter and used a laser for exposing the paper, started printing with the character spacing all screwed up, rendering it worthless. The fonts were files on floppy discs, and the machine used a machine-specific signature to prevent copying the fonts for use in other machines. I tracked down the problem to the code in the EPROM on the font security board. One bit had changed value and caused all the problems.

You may be looking at a similar bizarro problem in your printer.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Printer Symptom   Bizarre Printer Symptom EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 10:40 am

"Driver corruption" I'm guessing. Not my problem to fix thankfully.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Printer Symptom   Bizarre Printer Symptom EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 10:46 am

Which driver do you suspect of being corrupted? The one on the computers or the firmware in the printer.
The first thing I would try is a cold start and check the printer's display for an error code.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Printer Symptom   Bizarre Printer Symptom EmptyWed Feb 18, 2015 1:38 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
Not my problem to fix thankfully.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bizarre Printer Symptom   Bizarre Printer Symptom Empty

Back to top Go down

Bizarre Printer Symptom
Page 1 of 1