HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

New Printer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: New Printer   Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:45 pm

My HP 7520 has been streaking the copies with black lines and white lines, and there is apparently no way to physically clean the print heads other than the electronic self-clean facility which didn't fix anything.  I had a spare set ($65 worth) of brand new print cartridges and that didn't help either.

Took my diagnostic print down to OfficeMax where, predictably, a new printer is cheaper than even thinking about fixing my "old" one (purchased 2/14/14 for $150).

So I have a new HP 8610.  It's the size of a small refrigerator, and was (of course) half off the $200 list price.  It has all the features of the 7520, plus a better paper tray.  Plus it's eligible for the HP program called "Instant Ink" which might be a scam but I'm going to try it.  The printer keeps a tab of the number of pages printed and orders new ink for you automatically (supposedly).  Supposedly they send higher capacity cartridges than store bought.  Supposedly half the cost.  The program costs $3/mo which, if that's it, would be about 1/10 my ongoing ink budget.

Ve Szall Zee.

Now to test stuff like registration of the paper, to see if two sided CD covers really line up (my 7520 was the best printer I'd ever had for that, but it still wasn't perfect).

Oh my god setup procedure took me an hour to get this thing going -- online registration, cartridge alignment, setting the language for the embedded help screens, setting the date and time(!), setting the country (for standard paper sizes?), setting up Blu-ray networking, warranty registration, setting up the ink account.  I think I'm finally done now.

It prints.  Joy.

Last edited by NoCoPilot on Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:33 pm

As long as I have been involved with computers, I am still amazed today with how very cheap everything is. A hundred bucks for a color printer? My first inkjet printer was the HP ThinkJet. It printed in black ink only at 300 dpi. The cartridges were around $30 or $40. The printer cost me $500, or $1,150 in today's money. And it was a piece of crap. But it was sure quieter than my 14-inch carriage Epson dot matrix printer - the "Hammering Bastard" I think it was called. Shocked

I was given a Canon printer to replace an Epson ink jet printer several years ago. Right off there was a problem, in that the Canon wouldn't print labels on DVDs and CDs as the Epson did. Scrounged around a bit and found that the same model sold in Europe did print those labels. Bought the adapter for ten bucks on eBay and found the code changes for enabling the label printer and Bob's your uncle. Never have been able to get the DVD labels to print exactly in the right position, however.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:49 pm

The good:

• Amazingly tight and clear text down to tiny font size (on photo paper)
  • Amazingly good registration
  • Amazingly good color reproduction

The bad (so far):

• Doing a color blend, from one color (purple) to another (orange) -- which is one of the hardest things for a printer to do evenly -- there are some color jumps in the purple
  • Doing an all-black CD cover (which in my experience, is IMPOSSIBLE for an inkjet printer) there are some lines and bands
  • My old 7520 used two black ink cartridges, one a "text" black and the other a glossy "photo black" -- this printer doesn't do glossy black

However, in my experience, printing color photos with any kind of fidelity REQUIRES taking a thumbdrive up to the drugstore and doing it on their mega-$$ printers (at about 35c ea.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:02 pm

A few months ago, my wife bought me a small art print on canvas. I was astonished at the quality of the print. All my other art prints are screen prints, but now they sometimes use ultra-high-quality ink jet printers, typically with seven ink colors and using really expensive archival inks. They still number the prints - my latest is 31/50 - but the last print in the set will be exactly the same as the first; no quality loss from screen degradation. I would really like to get one of the printers for reproducing some of my photos, but the things start at about $3,000, and you can pay nearly that for a set of ink cartridges.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:13 pm

Try the drugstore.

Drugstores don't even send negatives out to Kodak anymore.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:17 pm

Drug stores are for drugs (but not for the good kind). The Canon printer I have actually does a great job. I have a couple of different types of photo paper, and I am happier with the prints than I have ever been with store-bought prints.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:17 pm

_Howard wrote:
My first inkjet printer was the HP ThinkJet.
My Deskjet 500 lasted through 20 years of color printers as my fallback b&w text printer.  I only took it out of service about 7 years ago when the new Canon was as cheap to print b&w as the Deskjet.  It still worked flawlessly.  I believe I ended up giving it to Goodwill.

Indicentally, the new 8610 is a scanner too (just like the 7520).  I gave away my two HP standalone scanners a few years ago.  Because it's a scanner and printer in one, it's also a color copier.

It also does faxing (which I never use) and, because it is network connected, it has its own email address so anything I want printed, no matter where I am, I can email it to the printer and it'll be waiting for me when I get home.  I used this a lot with the 7520.

Because it's network connected, I can scan things and email them to people without ever opening my computer -- if I preload some email addresses.  Not sure I'd ever use this.

It also makes waffles on Sunday mornings.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:51 am

When I signed up for the Instant Ink program, they said they'd sent me a starter ink package and my page count would begin as soon as I installed it (my $3/mo is based on 50 pages/mo.  For $4/mo I can do 100, and 500 is I think $6.  It's all based on how often they have to send you new ink.)

But the printer came with ink cartridges, and after a couple weeks of pretty heavy use, they're only about 10% used up.

The new ink showed up in the mail over the weekend, and the printer carts are physically bigger, to hold more ink than the store-bought carts.  I think this'll work out just fine.

But it might be a couple more months before I need them.

To buy a new set of (lower capacity) carts at OfficeMax costs $99.95 -- same as a new printer(!). So, if I get carts in the mail more often than once every 3 years I'll come out ahead.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jenni
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:41 pm

I'm going to need one soon. I like the laser printer the school library has. It's super fast. But I really want low ink cost. I tend to print pics at the drug store. (Well, they don't have drugs, might as well.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:32 am

Laser printers are not known for speed, and color laser printers are insanely expensive.  Ink jets have come a long way in the past decade, and look darn good these days.

First of October (two months in), and I'm still only halfway through my inaugural ink jet cartridges. At this rate they'll last til the new year.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:32 pm

Jenni wrote:
But I really want low ink cost.
I'm with your on that, Jenni.  I need a new black ink cartridge for a Canon printer. On Amazon, the cheapest they have them is about twenty-two dollars each, plus tax and shipping.

I found a place to buy off brand cartridges, with the chips, for four dollars plus tax - and with free shipping. The most I can lose is four bucks and change, so I'm going to try it. I'll let you know how it works.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:53 pm

Well, that was quick. They've already shipped my order and sent me a tracking number. I hope the ink is as good as their service.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:46 pm

_Howard wrote:
The most I can lose is four bucks and change, so I'm going to try it. I'll let you know how it works.
No actually you could lose quite a bit more, if the cheapo ink cartridges clog up your print heads.

Just sayin'.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:48 pm

The print heads are in the cartridges.
Just sayin'.

And how do you know it is cheapo ink? There's only about ten cents worth of ink in an OEM cartridge.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:49 pm

I wish you good luck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:06 pm

My bad. It is HP that uses disposable print heads in the cartridges, not Canon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:11 pm

I wish you good luck.

Even with replaceable print heads your electronic trigger pads can get damaged (or whatever you call those circuit pads that trigger the cartridges).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:26 pm

It may be time for a new printer anyway. I just turned it on and got a "cartridge not recognized" for the magenta ink. It was fine the last time I used the printer (yesterday) and has not been disturbed. I tried resetting it and then cleaning the contacts. I swapped a different cartridge into that slot ans got the same error, so it's apparently not the cartridge. Yes, these are all Canon OEM cartridges.
Shit!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:28 pm

_Howard wrote:
Shit!
Sadly they're almost disposable items these days.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:37 pm

This one has just become disposable.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:01 am

Mine, as I said, was only $100 and it's a remarkable machine. I'm still operating on the ink cartridges which came with it. I hope (and expect) that the replacement cartridges will not dry out before I get a chance to install them. Once installed they may last a year?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:34 am

The printers have become too cheap to make repairing an old one worthwhile. I tried finding the same printer for sale and found five on Amazon, ranging in price from $425 to $750. Waaay over MSRP when it was current.

All of the new printers are stuffed full of features I have no use for. To get a printer that just prints, I would have to go way up in price to commercial models. With all of the error testing the new printers do, I am concerned that the scanner, or the fax, or the copier, or the wireless, or maybe the vibrator would go out and prevent me from printing.

I don't know why I bother looking at the prices, though. My old Epson 14-inch, pin feed, dot matrix printer is in the closet behind me. That was about $700, twenty+years ago. It's stacked next to the fax machine. Sharing dust.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:03 am

_Howard wrote:
To get a printer that just prints, I would have to go way up in price to commercial models. With all of the error testing the new printers do, I am concerned that the scanner, or the fax, or the copier, or the wireless, or maybe the vibrator would go out and prevent me from printing.
So what? At $100 you buy a new one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
_Howard
Admin

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:38 am

It's not the money - it's the hassle.

I'm considering this one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: New Printer   Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:51 am