Eternal Questions

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Eternal Questions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eternal Questions   Eternal Questions - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 27, 2013 6:56 am

richard09 wrote:
NoCoPilot wrote:
Why am I the only person in the universe to load a new roll of toilet paper?
You should talk to my wife. She's convinced she's the only one.
Well it's a lead pipe cinch there can't be more than two of us.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Questions   Eternal Questions - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 31, 2013 1:00 pm

Why do some printers print face-down, first-page-first and some print face-up, last-page first? They're all HP. Why isn't there a standard?
Back to top Go down
SAI2

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Questions   Eternal Questions - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 7:43 am

1) There is nothing worse than going for a run all grimey and sticky.

2) To make sure their psychically advertised services are not being blocked by psychic signal blockers.

3) Why do car tires have intricate treads to feel and grip the road.

4) Do obese male astronauts.

5) You just never know when 3 or 4 cars will cut in front of you at once.

6) See Monsters Inc.

7) Because your good at it.

Cool Because naked rocks write very mello lyrics, and besides, they went out of style centuries ago.

9) Those damn psychic blockers again.

10) HP takes pride in keeping their customers on their toes. They dont want their methods discovered by the competition.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Questions   Eternal Questions - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 11:38 am

Took me a bit to work out what each reply refers to, but you're right in every case!
Back to top Go down
SAI2

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Questions   Eternal Questions - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 01, 2014 7:14 pm

My far side humour. ;-)
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Questions   Eternal Questions - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 7:36 am

Why do modern LCD and LED monitors and TVs still provide screen savers even though CRT burn-in is a thing of the past?
Back to top Go down
SAI2

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Questions   Eternal Questions - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 8:45 am

NoCoPilot wrote:
Why do modern LCD and LED monitors and TVs still provide screen savers even though CRT burn-in is a thing of the past?

People like them. I like coming back to my computer and seeing my favorite screensaver there, regardless of how briefly it remains there. One day while in conversation on the phone, I stared at my ss for a long time and found great pleasure in doing so.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Questions   Eternal Questions - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 06, 2014 8:57 am

LCD monitors are subject to image burn-in. (LED monitors are simply LCD monitors with LED backlighting).
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Questions   Eternal Questions - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 9:29 am

What's the difference between a tapioca swan and a pasta sheep?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Questions   Eternal Questions - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 9:32 am

_Howard wrote:
LCD monitors are subject to image burn-in. (LED monitors are simply LCD monitors with LED backlighting).
Wikipedia wrote:
Both plasma-type and LCD-type displays exhibit a similar phenomenon called transient image persistence, which is sometimes confused with screen burn but is not permanent. In the case of plasma-type displays, transient image persistence is caused by charge build-up in the pixel cells (not cumulative luminance degradation as with burn-in), which can be seen sometimes when a bright image that was set against a dark background is replaced by a dark background only; this image retention is usually released once a typical-brightness image is displayed and does not inhibit the display's typical viewing image quality.
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Questions   Eternal Questions - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 9:57 am

NoCoPilot wrote:
What's the difference between a tapioca swan and a pasta sheep?
About 3.50$.
Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Questions   Eternal Questions - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 1:05 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:
Both plasma-type and LCD-type displays exhibit a similar phenomenon called transient image persistence, which is sometimes confused with screen burn but is not permanent. In the case of plasma-type displays, transient image persistence is caused by charge build-up in the pixel cells (not cumulative luminance degradation as with burn-in), which can be seen sometimes when a bright image that was set against a dark background is replaced by a dark background only; this image retention is usually released once a typical-brightness image is displayed and does not inhibit the display's typical viewing image quality.

It's true that LCD monitors are considerably less susceptible to image retention that CRT monitors, but it can happen although there is only a small chance of it. Screen savers are free; why not eliminate essentially all possibility of this problem with your monitor?

Tech Lore wrote:
LCD panels use a complicated process of organizing liquid crystal molecules into a twisted or untwisted state, which allows polarized light to pass through the liquid crystal substrate. Over time, it is possible these liquid crystals can "get used to" the state of twist they are in, causing a static image, very similar to phosphor burn-in, to be visible on the screen permanently.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Questions   Eternal Questions - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 1:15 pm

http://www.techlore.com/article/10099/Do-LCD-TVs-Burn-In-/
The full article you quote is a bit more nuanced.
Quote :
A common question asked is if alternate, non phosphor based television products, such as  LCD and DLP televisions, are susceptible to burn in. The most common answer given to this question is no, LCD amd DLP televisions are immune to burn in.

There isn't a huge need for the typical television watcher to concern themselves with video memory and image persistence on LCD televisions; it's not likely under normal viewing conditions.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Questions   Eternal Questions - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 1:39 pm

Notice that in the phrase, "There isn't a huge need for the typical television watcher..." they are speaking only of television monitors, and they stop short of saying "no need."

I did say there is only a small chance of it occurring. Is there a significant difference between that and "There isn't a huge need."?

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Questions   Eternal Questions - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 07, 2014 1:52 pm

Yes there is a small possibility if unusually static images are displayed for unusually long times.

But screen savers in TVs and monitors are not unusual, only-in-special-cases options. They're near ubiquitous.

They needn't be. QED
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Questions   Eternal Questions - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 15, 2014 5:47 pm

What's the difference between "baby prawns" and shrimp?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Questions   Eternal Questions - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 2:38 pm

Prawns belong to the Dendrobranchiata suborder, and shrimp to the Pleocyemata. In addition to the slight variation in appearance, their reproductive patterns differ.

Or was that a rhetorical question?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Questions   Eternal Questions - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 2:48 pm

Rhetorical?  Like "what's the difference between calamari and pig rectum?"

Last edited by NoCoPilot on Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Questions   Eternal Questions - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 2:50 pm

Tastewise, I'm not sure there is a difference.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Questions   Eternal Questions - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2014 9:18 pm

There was a stand-up comedian I saw who spotted a pretty girl in the front row of the audience. He asked various audience members silly questions, getting some laughs, and then asked her "what's the difference between a cheeseburger and a blowjob?"
"I don't know".
"Can I buy you dinner later?"
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Questions   Eternal Questions - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2014 2:16 pm

_Howard wrote:
Tastewise, I'm not sure there is a difference.
I believe that's what "rhetorical" means, yes.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Questions   Eternal Questions - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 18, 2014 2:51 pm

Here's a "rhetorical" treat for you.

Eternal Questions - Page 2 Fishassholes_zps0034862e
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Questions   Eternal Questions - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 11:30 am

Why do dog's feet smell like Fritos?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Questions   Eternal Questions - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 11:52 am

Why do you know that?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Questions   Eternal Questions - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 21, 2014 12:06 pm

I eat Fritos and I live with dogs, who are frequently upside down in my lap (the dogs, not the Fritos).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Eternal Questions   Eternal Questions - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Eternal Questions
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next