HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

The Handmaid's Tale

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
richard09

richard09

The Handmaid's Tale Empty
PostSubject: The Handmaid's Tale   The Handmaid's Tale EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 7:12 am

Have you guys read this or seen it? I often read the book after seeing a good movie, because experience tells me the book is even better than the movie was. This movie was upsetting enough that I didn't want to read the book afterwards. And the book is getting additional publicity now because there's a new TV series coming out.

The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale

The Handmaid's Tale

I Grew Up In A Fundamentalist Cult — ‘The Handmaid’s Tale’ Was My Reality
Quote :
My situation grew out of a larger movement in the conservative Christian community to be more invested in politics and cultural affairs on the national level. This push was led by the “Moral Majority,” a group of Christian leaders founded by Jerry Falwell in 1971, which sought to take on Washington to bring Christian ethics to bear on policy at a national level.
Quote :
The Moral Majority effectively took the United States backwards a century policy-wise — and we still haven’t fully recovered.

It was during this rise of the Moral Majority that Atwood wrote The Handmaid’s Tale.
Quote :
Mike Pence is second in line for the presidency, and if Trump is impeached, we will have instead of an incompetent egoist for a president, a calculating and careful man who leaves a legacy behind him of anti-women, anti-LGBTQ, anti-immigrant policy-making. VP Pence is exactly the kind of man the Moral Majority of 1985 would have hoped to elect, as is demonstrated by their rallying around anti-minority and anti-choice legislators and policies and foundations.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: The Handmaid's Tale   The Handmaid's Tale EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 9:52 am

richard09 wrote:
And the book is getting additional publicity now because there's a new TV series coming out.
And because we now have an Administration which is intent on establishing a white nationalist xtian oligarchy.

I haven't seen or read it. I'm living it.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: The Handmaid's Tale   The Handmaid's Tale EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 10:36 am

NoCoPilot wrote:
I haven't seen or read it.  I'm living it.

Not yet. Once Pence takes over, then it will get exponentially worse than now.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: The Handmaid's Tale   The Handmaid's Tale EmptySun Apr 30, 2017 12:39 pm

Here's a circular remark: Recently, my daughter met Elisabeth Moss on an airplane in LA. Later, back in Brooklyn, the subject of the new series came up at a dinner party. My kid didn't know about the series, but chipped in with her bit about having met Moss. She later found out that one of her friends at the dinner is Margaret Atwood's son-in-law.

Still waiting for Kevin Bacon.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Handmaid's Tale   The Handmaid's Tale Empty

Back to top Go down

The Handmaid's Tale
Page 1 of 1