HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Movie: Being George Clooney

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Movie: Being George Clooney Empty
PostSubject: Movie: Being George Clooney   Movie: Being George Clooney EmptyFri Nov 18, 2016 8:33 pm

A 2016 documentary on the voice actors who dub American movie stars into other languages for their local releases of films.  The film focuses on about six men who do Clooney in Italian, German, Turkish, Portuguese, French and Polish.  In many cases, the same actor has dubbed Clooney in his country throughout the years, for all his films.  For instance the Italian audience has learned to associate one voice with Clooney's face, and it is jarring if a dubbing director tries to use a different voice.

Often these actors do several stars: Clooney, DeNiro, Duvall, Woody Allen....  Several actresses who each do several American actresses are also featured.

These voice actors not only have to learn the entire script (translated) of the movies they dub, but in most cases, they have to alter their delivery to match the actor's lip movements, and express all of the emotion (shouting, whispering, breathing, crying) that's on the original voice track.  It's quite an art.

And they feel passionately about it.  They see themselves as very important to the marketing of films in their countries, as integral to their success.  And they probably are.

Yet most of them make only a few hundred, rarely up to a thousand, dollars per film.  In many cases, American big budget films don't make back their production costs on the domestic American market.  It isn't until the film is released overseas that the global market can double, triple what the film makes in the U.S.  Tens of millions, sometimes hundreds of millions of dollars made on foreign releases.

Yet these voice actors are essentially paid peanuts.

The documentary itself was odd, because several of the foreign actors (and "voice actors" who certainly don't LOOK like actors...) speak no English.  Extensive interviews with them, in Italian, Portuguese, French etc. are allowed to play out, without subtitles.  You can go for a couple minutes not understanding a word that is said.  Apparently the documentary makers assumed their audience would be septi-lingual.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Being George Clooney   Movie: Being George Clooney EmptySat Nov 19, 2016 11:55 am

Being John Malkovich was much more entertaining.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Being George Clooney   Movie: Being George Clooney EmptyTue Nov 22, 2016 4:37 am

Another interesting factor about this documentary, that I forgot to mention, was the vagaries of translation.

First a script is translated from English to the other language.

Next, an expert takes this translation, which in most cases is many words more than the English original because English is (surprisingly perhaps) one of the most concise languages, and massages the translation to try to match the words to the actor's lip movements. There are also some phrases and idioms in English that don't translate directly to another language. One example they gave was from a Shrek movie, where Shek says to Donkey, "You're headed for a bottom slapping" and in Polish this became "if you don't behave I'll send you to the slaughterhouse." When a writer complained that this was much more severe than the original light-hearted intent, he was informed that "sending a donkey to the slaughterhouse" is a common Polish comedic line.

I love this sort of shit.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Being George Clooney   Movie: Being George Clooney EmptyTue Nov 22, 2016 12:51 pm

You'll probably like this, then. Not the same thing, but kind of related.

A dialect coach analyzes 32 of the best and worst movie accents
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Being George Clooney   Movie: Being George Clooney EmptyTue Nov 22, 2016 12:54 pm

Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Being George Clooney   Movie: Being George Clooney EmptyTue Nov 22, 2016 1:01 pm

Speaking of dubbing, Did you know that Mad Max, made in Australia, was dubbed before the DVD release in the US? I don't know if the movie version was dubbed; never saw it. I have both versions of the DVD. Aussies are strange people.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Being George Clooney   Movie: Being George Clooney EmptyTue Nov 22, 2016 1:58 pm

IMDB wrote:
The version released in the U.S. was re-dubbed with American accents. It has been widely claimed that the distributor, American International Pictures (AIP), feared that American audiences would have had problems understanding the thick Australian accents spoken by the actors. However, now that the original track has surfaced Stateside, it is revealed to be poorly mixed, with the music score often overwhelming dialogue (the very important conversation between two doctors that Max overhears is almost entirely drowned out). AIP's releases were predominantly seen in drive-in theaters (where in fact most of this picture's US box office revenue was earned) and where at this time the audio came through little speakers hanging on the car windows. This would definitely have made the audio problems worse and is the probable motivation for the alternate audio track (AIP having mostly American voice actors available to them).
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Being George Clooney   Movie: Being George Clooney EmptyTue Nov 22, 2016 2:46 pm

I don't recall there being any problems with the original sound track. Of course, I wasn't listening to it at a drive-in. I have no problem with Australian sound tracks and dialogue. I have watched numerous television programs from Australia and New Zealand and have no difficulty understanding them. Hell, they are easier to understand than most American television programs and movies, which are horribly over-scored and the actors seem to think that "acting" means whispering.

The most noticeable difference in the Mad Max sound tracks is the voice of the boss. He is a large man and in the dubbed version, he has a very low, gruff voice (think spaghetti western). In the original version he has a normal voice.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Being George Clooney   Movie: Being George Clooney Empty

Back to top Go down

Movie: Being George Clooney
Page 1 of 1