What the Hell Is It?

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What the Hell Is It?   What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 EmptyMon May 25, 2015 12:34 pm

Leather-working tools, I think.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What the Hell Is It?   What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 EmptyMon May 25, 2015 12:41 pm

_Howard wrote:
I'm afraid that the item appears much too generic to figure out its specific application.
Yeah, it's way too much of a cheat. Those are two chrome shelf brackets (I think) and a chrome spring from god knows where. They're not related. And they have no function.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: What the Hell Is It?   What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 EmptyMon May 25, 2015 1:27 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
Leather-working tools, I think.
Yep. Told you it was easy.

NoCoPilot wrote:
They're not related.  And they have no function.
Maybe they're related to ... you!
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: What the Hell Is It?   What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 EmptyMon May 25, 2015 1:43 pm

And now for something completely different: A CH-47 carrying a UH-34.

What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 Chinook-1%202_zpsvnsaeiya

In keeping with the spirit of NoCoPilot's "brackets and spring," one million points is awarded for naming the ship on which the delivery is being made. A part of the ship is visible on the left of the photo. Laughing
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: What the Hell Is It?   What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 EmptyMon May 25, 2015 3:22 pm

Just noticed this lying here on the desk. Should be easy.

What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 Gauge%201%202_zpsdprfags3
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What the Hell Is It?   What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 9:13 am

This one is easy if you know what it is. Guess that's generally true huh.
What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 AD5E4C19-1AE8-4A07-A89B-E66F3ADE49A8_zpsecey7elm
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: What the Hell Is It?   What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 11:09 am

Well, it appears to be a foam pillow. If it has a special application, I have no idea what that would be.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What the Hell Is It?   What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 11:50 am

Its location is a clue to its use -- which is the puzzle.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: What the Hell Is It?   What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 12:07 pm

I had noted the location and thought it may be a sauna or a hot tub, but does one really want a foam pillow in those environments?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What the Hell Is It?   What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 12:25 pm

Look again. You're missing an important clue!
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What the Hell Is It?   What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 12:28 pm

_Howard wrote:
one million points is awarded for naming the ship on which the delivery is being made. A part of the ship is visible on the left of the photo.
That conning tower could probably be any carrier in the fleet.  Without some clue as to the date or hemisphere it's hopeless.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What the Hell Is It?   What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 12:34 pm

_Howard wrote:
Just noticed this lying here on the desk. Should be easy.

The Roil, The Choke?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: What the Hell Is It?   What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 1:39 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
Look again.  You're missing an important clue!
Still looking. Is it kapok?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: What the Hell Is It?   What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 1:42 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
That conning tower could probably be any carrier in the fleet.  Without some clue as to the date or hemisphere it's hopeless.
If that was a conning tower, I would think the identification would be easy: I doubt they would build more than one helo-carrying submarine. Only submarines have conning towers. The superstructure on carriers is called the island.

Here's what I think is a give-away hint. Reduces the value to 100,000 points.

What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 Sr%201_zps1oy8phsr
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: What the Hell Is It?   What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 1:46 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
The Roil, The Choke?
My bad. I should have posted a shot of the end:  that is a solid metal piece.

This has nothing to do with electronics. In fact, it is not a part of anything else. It is, in totality, as pictured. It is used by something else, but that usage is not the purpose of the device which makes use of it. All of the specifications of the item are shown.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What the Hell Is It?   What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 1:56 pm

_Howard wrote:
Only submarines have conning towers.
Wikipedia wrote:
On surface ships, the conning tower was a feature of all battleships and armored cruisers from about 1860 to the early years of World War II. Located at the front end of the superstructure, the conning tower was a heavily armored cylinder, with tiny slit windows on three sides providing a reasonable field of view. Designed to shield just enough personnel and devices for navigation during battles, its interior was cramped and basic, with little more than engine order telegraphs, speaking tubes or telephones, and perhaps a steering wheel.[2] At all other times than during battles, the ship would be navigated from the bridge instead. Conning towers were used by the French on their floating batteries at the Battle of Kinburn.[3] They were then fitted to the first ironclad the French battleship La Gloire.[3] The first Royal Navy conning tower appeared on HMS Warrior which had 3 inches of armour.[3]

By the end of World War II, US ships were designed with expanded weather bridges enclosing the armored conning towers. On Iowa-class battleships, the conning tower is a vertical armor-plated cylinder with slit windows located in the middle of the bridge, climbing from deck 03 all the way up to the flying bridge on 05.

With the demise of battleships after World War II, along with the advent of missiles and nuclear weapons during the Cold War, modern warships no longer feature conning towers.

The conning tower of a submarine was a small watertight compartment within its sail (or fin in British usage) equipped with instruments and controls and from which the periscopes were used to direct the boat and launch torpedo attacks. It should not be confused with the submarine's control room, which was directly below it in the main pressure hull; or the bridge, a small exposed platform in the top of the sail.

As improvements in technology allowed the periscopes to be made longer it became unnecessary to raise the conning station above the main pressure hull. The USS Triton (SSRN-586) was the last American submarine to have a conning tower. The additional conning tower pressure hull was eliminated and its functions were added to the command and control center. Thus it is incorrect to refer to the sail of a modern submarine as a conning tower.

Last edited by NoCoPilot on Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What the Hell Is It?   What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 2:02 pm

_Howard wrote:
This has nothing to do with electronics. In fact, it is not a part of anything else. It is, in totality, as pictured. It is used by something else, but that usage is not the purpose of the device which makes use of it. All of the specifications of the item are shown.
_Howard wrote:
Here's what I think is a give-away hint. Reduces the value to 100,000 points.
Fuck me, I'm pulling up stupid.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: What the Hell Is It?   What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 2:04 pm

"Only submarines have conning towers."

Last edited by _Howard on Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: What the Hell Is It?   What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 2:05 pm

A better hint.

What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 Sr2_zpsvbjjkz9q
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: What the Hell Is It?   What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 2:10 pm

Note the specifications.
2" The thing is two inches long.
20°C Hmm. Why is a temperature specified for a piece of metal? Figure that out and you will have it.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What the Hell Is It?   What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 2:43 pm

My brain hurts. I only have room in it for boobs and beer.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: What the Hell Is It?   What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 2:48 pm

That's Bruce Dern in the picture with the robots.

For the other one, try to recall a user name I used at the end of the old DU.

Is that striped thing in the floor board of a car?
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: What the Hell Is It?   What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 3:27 pm

Guaranteed dead give-away hint.

What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 P6020014%202_zps61368ghx
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: What the Hell Is It?   What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 3:32 pm

I almost forgot this one. I didn't expect anyone to get it. No reason you should have.

What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 P5200021_zpswuqhaacqWhat the Hell Is It? - Page 3 P5230005%202_zpsjljaamja

This is a tool for inserting the attaching post for the condenser on old VW air-cooled engines.
They were sometimes a pain in the ass to insert, and VW never made a tool for doing it. For decades, mechanics used a flat blade screwdriver to push them in and many were damaged. This tool allowed them to be inserted without damage. The two ends are for different types of parts, some of which were flat and some of which were convex.

Richard, are you still sure you've seen one of these?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: What the Hell Is It?   What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 02, 2015 5:46 pm

Wait, are these clues for the helicopter thing or the 2" metal thing?

The movie with Bruce Dern and the robots is "Silent Runnng" which I've never seen but it sounds like "Wall-E" stole the plot. Dern's spaceship was called the Valley Forge which is also the name of a carrier that became the USS Princeton. Maybe that's the answer to the helicopter one?

How the micrometer relates to that -- if indeed it does -- I have no clue. Maybe it relates to the 2" metal thingy. Maybe that's a known 2" metal bar at 20 degrees Celsius that can be used for calibrating a micrometer?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What the Hell Is It?   What the Hell Is It? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

What the Hell Is It?
Page 3 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next