HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Solar System's Edge Redefined

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
richard09

richard09

Solar System's Edge Redefined Empty
PostSubject: Solar System's Edge Redefined   Solar System's Edge Redefined EmptyFri Mar 28, 2014 7:14 am

I find this stuff weirdly fascinating.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Solar System's Edge Redefined   Solar System's Edge Redefined EmptyFri Mar 28, 2014 7:41 am

I guess I don't understand why discovering one new orbiting body "redefines the edge of the solar system" whereas the thousands of known comets, with elliptical orbits that center on the sun, do not.

Also, the idea of a large unseen planet beyond the Oort belt is slightly ridiculous. Gravity out there wouldn't be strong enough for a capture. There's a reason the rocky planets are close in, the gas giants further out, and everything beyond that is frozen ice balls.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Solar System's Edge Redefined   Solar System's Edge Redefined EmptyFri Mar 28, 2014 11:38 am

Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Solar System's Edge Redefined   Solar System's Edge Redefined EmptyFri Mar 28, 2014 3:57 pm

I still define the edge of the solar system the same way most people do: "Way the fuck out there!"
Back to top Go down
SAI2

PostSubject: Re: Solar System's Edge Redefined   Solar System's Edge Redefined EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 11:32 am

I thought the edge should be where solar and gravitational influence (i.e. sphere of influence) ceases. The long gone Voyager probes, at least one of them, have traversed this SOI into interstellar space.

wiki wrote:
In August 2009 Voyager 1 was over 16.5 terameters (16.5×1012 meters, or 16.5×109 km, 110.7 AU, or 10.2 billion miles) from the Sun, and thus had entered the heliosheath region between the solar wind's termination shock and the heliopause (the limit of the solar wind). Beyond the heliopause is the bow shock of the interstellar medium, beyond which the probes enter interstellar space and the Sun's gravitational influence on them is exceeded by that of the Milky Way galaxy in general. At the heliopause, light from the Sun takes over 16 hours to reach the probe.

Once the influence of interstellar medium meets and exceeds our star's infleuence, that seems to me to be the reasonable edge/boundary of our solar system.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Solar System's Edge Redefined   Solar System's Edge Redefined EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 2:41 pm

SAI2 wrote:
Once the influence of interstellar medium meets and exceeds our star's infleuence, that seems to me to be the reasonable edge/boundary of our solar system.
IOW, "way the fuck out there."

The influence of gravity and solar wind never diminishes to zero, but it gets pretty weak at 16lh.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Solar System's Edge Redefined   Solar System's Edge Redefined Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1