HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Books on my "To Read" List

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Books on my "To Read" List Empty
PostSubject: Books on my "To Read" List   Books on my "To Read" List EmptySun Mar 16, 2014 9:51 am

I generally have a handful of books waiting to be read, but the past few months I've been buying faster than I can read. I have a surfeit of reading material!

Peter Mayle - A Year in Provence
Wife and I are tentatively planning on visiting Provence in '15 so I wanted to get a head start.  Been meaning to read it for donkey's years.

Hedrick Smith - Who Stole The American Dream?
An analysis of the war on the Middle Class by the rich and their politicians.

Monte Reel - Between Man and Beast
The story of Paul Du Chaillu, the first naturalist to describe and bring back evidence of gorillas.  He braved incredible hardships.

Walter Isaacson - Benjamin Franklin
Loved Isaacson's bio of Steve Jobs so I thought his book on one of the most fascinating characters in American history ought to be good.

Sonali Deraniyagala - Wave
Eyewitness account of the Indonesian tsunami.  Looked astonishing in the bookstore.

Jessica Wapner - The Philadelphia Chromosome
Advances in DNA-targeted cancer therapies, based on the discovery of a single gene that causes (or is associated with) a rare leukemia.

Napoleon Chagnon - Noble Savages
Tales of an anthropologist's life with two war-like tribes in Venezuela -- and the surprising results of his research.

Charles Mann - 1491 and 1493
I want to read these studies of European culture just before and just after Columbus's voyages.

Gavin Menzies - 1421
The story of China's discovery of America.

David Landes - Revolution in Time
The origin of clockmaking and the regulation of time.

Floyd Skloot - In The Shadow of Memory
Story of the author's recovery from a virus that damaged his brain and memory, and left him a different person from before.

Joseph Stiglitz - The Price of Inequality
At Jenni's suggestion a book about the economic cleaving of America.

Paolo Bacigalupi - The Windup Girl
A post-apocalyptic novel about biological robots.

Karen Russell - Swamplandia
Novel about a 13-year old girl and how she deals with family drama.  Great reviews.

Karl Ove Knausgaard - My Struggle
A "Proustian masterpiece" about writing and coming to grips with life.  Looked fascinating.

Daniel Bartlett & James Steele - The Betrayal of the American Dream
I loved their "America: What Went Wong?" twenty years ago so I thought an update might be worthwhile.

Timothy Egan - The Worst Hard Time
The story of the dust bowl, the consequence of the last unfettered Republican control of the economy.

Mac Montandon - Jetpack Dreams
We were promised jet packs.  Whatever happened to our jet packs?

Adam Hochschild - To End All Wars
"Focuses on the long-ignored moral dilemma of the First World War's critics" -- in this year of centenary celebration it's important to wonder, as NPR has been doing all week, what would have happened had WWI never happened.
Back to top Go down

Books on my "To Read" List
Page 1 of 1