HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Michio Kaku: 3 mind-blowing predictions about the future

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
richard09

richard09

Michio Kaku: 3 mind-blowing predictions about the future Empty
PostSubject: Michio Kaku: 3 mind-blowing predictions about the future   Michio Kaku: 3 mind-blowing predictions about the future EmptySat Oct 30, 2021 2:30 pm

Michio Kaku tends to generate love-hate responses. He really is a smart guy and a genuine quantum physicist, but he also loves to spout publicly, and a lot of people hate him for that. I kind of like this one, and think we could all use a break from politics.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Michio Kaku: 3 mind-blowing predictions about the future Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michio Kaku: 3 mind-blowing predictions about the future   Michio Kaku: 3 mind-blowing predictions about the future EmptySat Oct 30, 2021 8:05 pm

Thanks for the vacation from thinking.  Pardon me if I throw a little cold water on him.

1. Leaving the earth ("becoming a two-planet species") is pure fantasy.  Alpha Proxima is 4.246 light years away.  Moving even a single self-sustaining colony of humans through the void of empty space would consume more energy than exists on earth.  None of the components we need for life are to be found anywhere else in our solar system.

2. Augmented Reality is promising, but direct brain-computer interfaces (BCI) assume a lot more simplicity in brain function than exists.

3. Nanomedicine is still a big unknown to me.  I haven't seen any studies that indicate we've licked the problem of waste heat in nanotechnology, but bigger brains than mine are working on nano and I'll be the first to admit I don't understand the first thing about it.  When Eric Drexler proposed the whole nanotechnology thing in 1986 I thought it one step below perpetual motion in plausibility... and for many of the same reasons.

Michio Kaku -- like Neil Degrasse-Tyson and Bill Nye The Science Guy -- are "TV science guys".  They're not meant to be serious scientists.  There's a role for "Carl Sagans" in this world, proselytizing wild science ideas to the Great Unwashed, but sober minds know better than to have a second drink with them.
Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1