HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Netflix Special: The Closer

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Netflix Special: The Closer Empty
PostSubject: Netflix Special: The Closer   Netflix Special: The Closer EmptyTue Oct 12, 2021 4:33 pm

Dave Chappelle's third and final stand up special for Netflix takes on, headfirst, the controversy generated by his previous one, "Sticks and Stones."  That one was roundly criticized for being transphobic.

In this one, Dave tries to explain himself.  He digs himself a little deeper in the shit, because trans people don't like to be made fun of.  Coming out as trans is fundamentally different than coming out as black, a distinction Dave doesn't seem to appreciate.  In the special he talks about several trans people he's known and admired, and repeats the tired old trope about "gender is real."

Well yeah, it is until it doesn't match how you feel.

I cannot imagine what it's like to be trans, since my sexual identity is such a big part of who I am.  But I can cringe when a rich, celebrated, successful black man makes jokes about it.

Dave's heart is in the right place, and he's not hateful.  But he's still ignorant and speaking from a platform of ignorance.

The best joke in the show -- which was more observational humor than joke humor -- came from a trans fan of Dave's named Daphne Dorman. That says something.
Back to top Go down

Netflix Special: The Closer
Page 1 of 1