HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

High-Tech Blankets

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

High-Tech Blankets Empty
PostSubject: High-Tech Blankets   High-Tech Blankets EmptyMon Aug 02, 2021 8:19 pm

I used to sleep under an electric blanket.  When Mrs NoCo started sharing the bed with me, 33 years ago, she wasn't a fan so I stopped using one.

About ten years ago I tried a heated mattress pad.  It's designed to go under the fitted sheet, and it heats the foot of the bed, down by your feel only.  I turned mine sideways so it heated just my side of the bed.  It worked fine on really cold nights, but unfortunately it got too warm on normal nights.  The idle speed wasn't slow enough.

I also finally found a heated body pillow about a year ago.  Like the mattress pad, the idea is great but the temperature regulation is too coarse to remain comfortable all night.

Couple months ago I decided I wanted to try a weighted blanket.  This things are filled with lead shavings or something, because the 5'x5' throw blanket weighs about 60 pounds.  It's supposed to be like "a hug in a blanket" and calm nervous people and animals.  Sometimes when I'm sitting up late on the couch I like to throw it over my lap, and sometimes I even sleep under it.  But it hasn't become a regular part of my life.  It's not hot or anything, it breathes.... just a weird feeling.

Saturday I ordered a cooling blanket from Amazon.  It's a lightweight throw blanket that's made of some special fabrics that are supposed to make your body 5-6º cooler than the ambient temperature, due to controlled evaporation (or some such spiel).  I'm a sucker for new ideas like that, so I'm anxious to try it out tonight.  These days staying warm at night isn't the problem; it's staying cool.  I sleep with a fan on all night, and a window open.  It's been high-80s all week and the house stays about 76º through the night.  That's about 8º too warm for my Viking blood.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

High-Tech Blankets Empty
PostSubject: Re: High-Tech Blankets   High-Tech Blankets EmptyTue Aug 03, 2021 6:39 am

One spa I used to visit occasionally had heated massage tables. I realized that they had taken a heated mattress pad and put it under the sheets used to cover the massage table. That was something I hadn't encountered before, but in the winter, when the place was inclined to get a bit chilly at times, it felt really great. Sadly, they went out of business during the pandemic.
Back to top Go down

High-Tech Blankets
Page 1 of 1