A Mississippi Love Story

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

A Mississippi Love Story Empty
PostSubject: A Mississippi Love Story   A Mississippi Love Story EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 9:22 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/12/09/a-mississippi-love-story_n_4412555.html

MY FRIENDS ARE GONNA BE IN A MOVIE!!  Razz 

This is Eddie and Justin, they are my neighbors, my fiends, my hairdressers, and where they sit in that movie trailer is two doors down from where I sit right now posting this. Eddie Outlaw- yes that's his real name -is from the Delta like my family is. And these two are one of the main players in this area in terms of community and lgbt rights and just generally keeping things as liberal we can here. They've done profiles on them before but this is an actual movie being done about being gay and in love and now married (Justin's dad threw them a wedding in California) in Mississippi.

I love that this story is being told and I love that it's theirs. Eddie is sharp as a tack is Justin is the sweetest man you will ever meet (and we won't discuss my lust for his Neverfull tote.)
Those people in that crowd are my people, someone will know that we too want gay people to have rights! That's my friend Lori, the blond in one scene- she's the one that stands at the clinic doors with us or organizes people to go to the capital. I love the way the trailer ends to with Justin holding the chi, because they are big in the dog rescue community as well. Every year for Eddie's birthday they do a drive for the local shelter. These are fabulous people finally getting to tell their side of a story that touches everybody and I'm so fucking thrilled. I had to share.

As the movie comes out I will post info on it. I'm so excited!
Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: A Mississippi Love Story   A Mississippi Love Story EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 10:34 am

Once the pendulum starts tipping, it's surprising how fast change happens. Mississippi, really??? The next generation -- our kids -- won't stand for discrimination against LGBT so we might as well get it done now. A nationwide anti-discrimination law seems like the logical next step.

I only wish -- and this is futile for now but perhaps within my lifetime -- I only wish this carried over into a revolt against socially regressive behavior in general.
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: A Mississippi Love Story   A Mississippi Love Story EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 11:41 am

NoCoPilot wrote:
Once the pendulum starts tipping, it's surprising how fast change happens.  Mississippi, really??? The next generation -- our kids -- won't stand for discrimination against LGBT so we might as well get it done now.  A nationwide anti-discrimination law seems like the logical next step.

I only wish -- and this is futile for now but perhaps within my lifetime -- I only wish this carried over into a revolt against socially regressive behavior in general.
Yes, really! I know, I'm stunned too.
We are really at a tipping point right now. I don't know if you saw the Daily Show bit about us and Alabama: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/30/the-daily-show-alabama-mississippi-gay-video_n_4177839.html That club at the end, Bottoms Up- that's my neighborhood. They are kink, gay, and trans friendly and they have drag shows quite often. On the other hand when Justin first got the LV Neverfull that I covet so much he and Eddie went to dinner at a little local place we all frequent and got called a "fag" by some young men in the grocery parking lot across from the restaurant. That was literally within walking distance of the BU club.

This weighs heavily on my mind as I try to make plans to escape. As you know this was one of my hesitations in leaving, I feel like I'm abandoning my people who need to be led through change.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: A Mississippi Love Story   A Mississippi Love Story EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 11:52 am

Eddie and Frank are big boys, they can take care of themselves. If you leave they'll understand.
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: A Mississippi Love Story   A Mississippi Love Story EmptyMon Jan 20, 2014 12:58 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
Eddie and Frank are big boys, they can take care of themselves.  If you leave they'll understand.
Justin. I know. It's not them I have to contend with, it's my own sense of responsibility. But I also have a responsibility to me, so onward I trudge towards my goal, even if a bit heavy hearted.

But I'm still really proud of them and happy for the attention to the cause.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Mississippi Love Story   A Mississippi Love Story Empty

Back to top Go down

A Mississippi Love Story
Page 1 of 1