HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Series: One Mississippi

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Series: One Mississippi Empty
PostSubject: Series: One Mississippi   Series: One Mississippi EmptyTue Dec 31, 2019 11:23 am

Recently I've watched several TV interviews Hannah Gadsby did in promoting her new stage show "Douglas," and in researching Hannah I came across many mentions of Tig Notaro, who I haven't really followed in the past couple of years. Turns out she's had a few shows too (which I missed) including "One Mississippi."

OM is a semi-autobiographical 12-episode show produced by Louis C.K. It was done in 2016, the same year that Louis did Horace and Pete,, and like H&P, OM is not a comedy series. Both exist on the pathos side of drama; in H&P's case describing Steve Buscemi's (Pete's) mental illness; in OM's case, describing Tig's cancer, double mastectomy without reconstruction, and the death of her mother during her post-op treatment. Actually, I'm not sure if that last element is true or not.

Lots of ironic twists, awkward silences, uncomfortable conversations. Entertaining, in a morbid sense. And very honest and raw.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Series: One Mississippi   Series: One Mississippi EmptyTue Dec 31, 2019 2:59 pm

And growing up and living in Mississippi, land of Civil War re-enactments, pray-the-gay-away churches, Robert E. Lee birthday celebrations on Martin Luther King day....

I don’t know how you do it, Jenni. I don’t know WHY you do it.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Series: One Mississippi   Series: One Mississippi EmptyTue Dec 31, 2019 3:37 pm

Okay, season 2 episode 5 has a problem I’ve never seen anywhere before. The subtitles don’t match the dialogue. They’re from a completely different show!
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Series: One Mississippi   Series: One Mississippi EmptyTue Dec 31, 2019 7:13 pm

Binge-watched all 12 episodes (that's only six hours) and late in the show -- remember this is September 2017 -- Tig and her producer joke about moving to New Zealand to escape Trump.

In 2017.   We've been living this for that long -- we sometimes forget.

It was a good series.  Like H&P it dealt with a lot of serious issues like sexual harassment, gay acceptance, fecal transplants, religion, bigotry, fact-based worldviews.  It was intelligent and did not talk down to the audience.  It wasn't a comedy except for the occasional irony or startling juxtaposition.  Well worth six hours.

The best entertainment these days isn't on the big screen. Comparing to something like SW which, next to it, was a loud wet fart.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Series: One Mississippi   Series: One Mississippi Empty

Back to top Go down

Series: One Mississippi
Page 1 of 1