HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Book: It's Too Late Now

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Book: It's Too Late Now Empty
PostSubject: Book: It's Too Late Now   Book: It's Too Late Now EmptyWed May 13, 2020 3:45 pm

A.A. Milne's autobiography was published in 1939, and I've wanted a copy since 1974 when it was referenced in his son's memoir "The Enchanted Places."  Unfortunately as far as I could tell it had never been reprinted, and copies went for silly money.

With my recent spate of Pooh/Calvin & Hobbes events, I idly googled the book again.  Eureka, it was reprinted in 2017 on a print-to-order basis, and went for slightly less-than-silly money.  I ordered one out of Great Blighty and it arrived yesterday.

Milne describes his childhood, growing up 1882-1900 in Kilburn.  In the preface he says he won't be writing about his adulthood, or the successes of his Pooh books (1924-1930), or his plays both before & after Pooh.  He's concentrating on his childhood.  Rather like "The Enchanted Places," both father & son grew up privileged, raised by nannies, educated in the classics, dressed in dresses with long hair (to their chagrin), and less interested in telling the stories of their adulthood.

Alan's a better writer than Billy Moon, unsurprisingly.
Back to top Go down

Book: It's Too Late Now
Page 1 of 1