Book: On The Rez

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Book: On The Rez Empty
PostSubject: Book: On The Rez   Book: On The Rez EmptyMon May 06, 2019 3:36 pm

A book about modern Indian life written by a non-Indian.  It looks to be a pretty accurate description, neither too laudatory nor too demeaning. I've been a fan of Sherman Alexie and a couple movies I've seen about Rez life, and I've known a couple of Rez Indians so it looked interesting.  I got it for half price at a tiny independent bookstore downtown that's closing after 20 years because the landlord decided out of the blue to double the rent.  Why do people do that.

Ian Frazier, the author, talks about how the general myth about Indians is that their civilization was destroyed when the white Europeans came and took over the land. He points out that the story is much more complicated. Pilgrims learned about corn and peanuts and many kinds of beans and tomatoes and potatoes and squash and tobacco from the natives, and soon these became the cash crops that created the new nation. The Indians' lack of hierarchical government and general egalitarianism also rubbed off on the settlers, leading to their declaring independence and writing a Constitution and Bill of Rights based largely on Indian principles.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: On The Rez   Book: On The Rez EmptyFri May 10, 2019 6:47 am

Indians are a proud people, but generations of reservation living have codified into what's called "the Indian way" which is a curiously ambitionless way to live.  No respect for appointments, no respect for honor, no long-term planning or goals, lots of broken-down cars and marital discord and alcoholism.  Listening to Frazier's stories of dealing with some Rez Indians, you can't help but get frustrated with their passivity.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: On The Rez   Book: On The Rez EmptyTue May 28, 2019 1:10 pm

Ian Frazier wrote:
Freshly made fry bread and black coffee is the most delicious breakfast you can have.  Fry bread cooked in lard tastes even better than it is bad for you, which is saying a lot.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Book: On The Rez   Book: On The Rez EmptyTue May 28, 2019 4:38 pm

Fried bread (preferably made using lard) is a key component of a full English breakfast, in many parts of England.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: On The Rez   Book: On The Rez EmptyTue May 28, 2019 6:35 pm

Why isn’t diabetes and heart disease as big a deal in England as it is on the Rez?
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Book: On The Rez   Book: On The Rez EmptyWed May 29, 2019 6:22 am

The traditional English breakfast isn't nearly as common as it used to be, I think. And while it's a high-calorie start to the day, it isn't especially high in carbs, so I don't know that it aims you towards diabetes other than heading you towards being overweight. And if your job involves physical work, even that may not be true. The modern-day office workers tend to eat much lighter in the morning, just as over here.

And diabetes is a growing problem.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book: On The Rez   Book: On The Rez Empty

Back to top Go down

Book: On The Rez
Page 1 of 1