HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Frank Rosolino

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Frank Rosolino  Empty
PostSubject: Frank Rosolino    Frank Rosolino  EmptyMon Oct 29, 2018 3:58 pm

Couple weeks ago I downloaded all the albums under Ed Bickert's name, he's a Canadian jazz guitarist who limited his own career by deciding not to tour because he had young kids.  He backed lots of musicians who came through Toronto, and recorded a half dozen excellent LPs in Toronto, but he's not as well known as Jim Hall or George Benson or Wes Montgomery, though he's easily as good as any of them.  Almost none of his catalog has been released on CD, so I was thrilled to find downloads.

One of the treasured albums in my collection -- actually three of them -- are live albums stemming from a weeklong residency altoist Paul Desmond performed in Toronto in 1975.  Three separate albums resulted, all fabulous.  One of the three has been re-released on CD.  I faked the other two.

The following year trombonist Frank Rosolino had a residence at the same club, Bourbon Street.  The same trio, Ed Bickert, bassist Don Thompson and drummer Terry Clarke, backed him.

The resulting album, "Thinking About You" is equally fine as the Desmond.  As before, the performances were recorded on 4-track by Don Thompson, while he played on the bandstand.  They're some of the most realistic and pleasant live recordings I've ever heard.

When Sackville went to reissue "Thinking About You" on CD they asked Don if possibly any more songs were recorded over that four-day residency.

Turns out yes.  Eight more ten minute never-released songs, in addition to the original four, enough for two full CDs!  Gawd I love CDs when this kind of stuff happens.

In researching this release I discovered that Rosolino was a manic depressive.  Two years after this recording, he shot both his sons as they slept then turned the gun on himself.  Sad end to a very talented life.
Back to top Go down

Frank Rosolino
Page 1 of 1