HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Subjective Reality

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Subjective Reality Empty
PostSubject: Subjective Reality   Subjective Reality EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 1:21 pm

Do you remember the scene in Woody Allen's "Sleeper" where Miles discovers that everything he thought he knew back in the 20th Century was dead wrong?  That steak, cream pies and hot fudge were actually GOOD for you?

I've been having a Miles moment today. I have been bombarded, from more than one direction, with information that I *know* is dead wrong, yet people (and not just a few of them) insist that this information is accurate and I am the one that is wrong.

Over on a music forum I frequent, there's a discussion on "the death of the CD" which is being attributed to the inferior sound qualities of the CD over the "obvious superiority" of the LP. These people insist that LPs are coming back in a big way and the CD's days are numbered. No amount of incredulity shakes their credulity.

Then there's the discussion of Obamacare. Last night I turned on Fox News in between commercials on Rachel Maddow and Top Gear.  They were discussing the utter failure of the Affordable Care Act (after 3 weeks!) and talking about how it had been totally abandoned by the administration (that's news to me). I wondered if I had happened upon some parallel universe where everything I know is wrong.

Then a friend sent me an email from Colonel Robert Cunningham about Obamacare and it was full of very authoritative statements that were contrary to my understanding of the world.  Here's his website, you decide:
http://www.theakurians.com

Last edited by NoCoPilot on Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Subjective Reality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Subjective Reality   Subjective Reality EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 3:43 pm

I, too, believe that the days of the CD are numbered; they will be replaced with memory cards, although not with crummy MP3 encoding (had to throw that in Evil or Very Mad ).

I don't believe that LPs will ever make a comeback in a big way, although there are a lot of people - many of them younger people, including my daughter who is in the music business and has thousands of CDs - who prefer vinyl over CDs, and the number seems to be growing, but will never, in my opinion, reach a significant level.

I think that the idea that sound qualities of the LP are "obviously superior to the CD" is ludicrous. Anecdotally, however, in some instances, the digital remastering of old LPs is done in such a slipshod manner that the old LPs will, in fact, sound better than the CDs. Sometimes the sound engineer will intentionally make tonal changes  - and I've even encountered speed and level changes - that can be devastating to the music; don't know why they do this, but it does happen.

Back in the early sixties, the argument was between the new transistor amplifiers and the traditional vacuum tube amps. People said the "transistor sound" was horrible and they couldn't stand it. Some even said that it gave them headaches. Today, there are still some  very expensive vacuum tube amplifiers and their supporters praise their "warm" sound, not realizing that the warmth is actually distortion and clipping.

But in the end: Hey, it's music. I have no problem with people who prefer the sound of one amplifier or music reproduction source over another. There's a reason that they put tone controls on pre-amps.

As far as Fox News goes, their job is to disparage everything that doesn't please the far right. Truth and facts are of no concern to them.
Colonel Robert Cunningham has been around for awhile, and is a source of great amusement. I've never seen a reference to any military service by him, so the "Colonel" bit may be his own doing. Look up the phone number on the mail you got from him: it's a liquor store in Albuquerque.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Subjective Reality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Subjective Reality   Subjective Reality EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 11:10 am

8-Tracks are warmer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Subjective Reality Empty
PostSubject: Re: Subjective Reality   Subjective Reality Empty

Back to top Go down

Subjective Reality
Page 1 of 1