HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

SHARED REALITY AND THE RELATIONAL UNDERPINNINGS OF SYSTEM-JUSTIFYING BELIEFS

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

SHARED REALITY AND THE RELATIONAL UNDERPINNINGS OF  SYSTEM-JUSTIFYING BELIEFS Empty
PostSubject: SHARED REALITY AND THE RELATIONAL UNDERPINNINGS OF SYSTEM-JUSTIFYING BELIEFS   SHARED REALITY AND THE RELATIONAL UNDERPINNINGS OF  SYSTEM-JUSTIFYING BELIEFS EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 5:39 am

Quote :
...the overarching status quo
may be slow to change because people are not equally motivated to achieve
shared reality with everyone. According to shared reality theory, social
tuning of attitudes occurs to the extent that the relationship is desired or
obligatory.

http://www.uv.es/garzon/psicologia%20politica/N39-4.pdf
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

SHARED REALITY AND THE RELATIONAL UNDERPINNINGS OF  SYSTEM-JUSTIFYING BELIEFS Empty
PostSubject: Re: SHARED REALITY AND THE RELATIONAL UNDERPINNINGS OF SYSTEM-JUSTIFYING BELIEFS   SHARED REALITY AND THE RELATIONAL UNDERPINNINGS OF  SYSTEM-JUSTIFYING BELIEFS EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 2:51 pm

Outstanding, Lisa. Thank you for that link.

I have an old acquaintance who is a psychologist and professor of sociology. I am going to print out this paper and give it to her when she returns from sabbatical. Her field of research is something she calls Personal Political Psychopathology; she's trying to define why people often rabidly defend and support politicians and political policies that are strongly antithetical to their own well being. I see some points in this paper that seem to correlate strongly with some of the issues she and I have discussed about her findings, although approached from a very different perspective.

Everyone here who is interested in politics or social conflict should read this.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: SHARED REALITY AND THE RELATIONAL UNDERPINNINGS OF SYSTEM-JUSTIFYING BELIEFS   SHARED REALITY AND THE RELATIONAL UNDERPINNINGS OF  SYSTEM-JUSTIFYING BELIEFS EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 4:47 pm

_Howard wrote:
... returns from sabbatical. Her field of research is something she calls Personal Political Psychopathology; she's trying to define why people often rabidly defend and support politicians and political policies that are strongly antithetical to their own well being.
Academia. Gotta love it!

In my world these are just drunken discussions around a card table.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: SHARED REALITY AND THE RELATIONAL UNDERPINNINGS OF SYSTEM-JUSTIFYING BELIEFS   SHARED REALITY AND THE RELATIONAL UNDERPINNINGS OF  SYSTEM-JUSTIFYING BELIEFS EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 5:05 pm

You might be surprised to learn that a conversation around a table full of PhDs quite often involves copious amounts of alcohol, as well as significant quantities of a well-known herb. As my youngest girl likes to say, "Hilarity ensues."

I also have another group of friends who are the original 1%ers (look it up). After a couple of hours, it's difficult to tell by the conversation which group I am with.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SHARED REALITY AND THE RELATIONAL UNDERPINNINGS OF SYSTEM-JUSTIFYING BELIEFS   SHARED REALITY AND THE RELATIONAL UNDERPINNINGS OF  SYSTEM-JUSTIFYING BELIEFS EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 7:06 pm

_Howard wrote:

Everyone here who is interested in politics or social conflict should read this.

Thank you, Howard.
That's exactly what I thought.
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: SHARED REALITY AND THE RELATIONAL UNDERPINNINGS OF SYSTEM-JUSTIFYING BELIEFS   SHARED REALITY AND THE RELATIONAL UNDERPINNINGS OF  SYSTEM-JUSTIFYING BELIEFS EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 8:11 pm

Embarassed I'm still reading it.
Part of me is embarrassed by that but the other part of me is like fuck it- I'm from Mississippi and I can read it so I'm doing good.
Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: SHARED REALITY AND THE RELATIONAL UNDERPINNINGS OF SYSTEM-JUSTIFYING BELIEFS   SHARED REALITY AND THE RELATIONAL UNDERPINNINGS OF  SYSTEM-JUSTIFYING BELIEFS EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 9:48 pm

Jenni. Doesn't that make you part of the one percent in Mississippi?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SHARED REALITY AND THE RELATIONAL UNDERPINNINGS OF SYSTEM-JUSTIFYING BELIEFS   SHARED REALITY AND THE RELATIONAL UNDERPINNINGS OF  SYSTEM-JUSTIFYING BELIEFS EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 3:08 am

Jenni wrote:
Embarassed I'm still reading it.
Part of me is embarrassed by that but the other part of me is like fuck it- I'm from Mississippi and I can read it so I'm doing good.

Embarrassed. Fuck that. With all you do, I'm surprised you ever find the time.
The thing is, I think things are interconnected... and reasons for one thing are the same reasons for other things.
Generally speaking.
(I used the word thing 4 times in one sentence.)
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: SHARED REALITY AND THE RELATIONAL UNDERPINNINGS OF SYSTEM-JUSTIFYING BELIEFS   SHARED REALITY AND THE RELATIONAL UNDERPINNINGS OF  SYSTEM-JUSTIFYING BELIEFS EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 10:18 am

_Howard wrote:
Jenni. Doesn't that make you part of the one percent in Mississippi?
I'm sure it does. Of course there isn't much glee in being the smartest kid on the short bus but there you go, that's where I am, lol.

Lisa wrote:
The thing is, I think things are interconnected.
I tend to think so too. I mean I think it can all be boiled down to quantum physics but I think one thing leads to another.
Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: SHARED REALITY AND THE RELATIONAL UNDERPINNINGS OF SYSTEM-JUSTIFYING BELIEFS   SHARED REALITY AND THE RELATIONAL UNDERPINNINGS OF  SYSTEM-JUSTIFYING BELIEFS EmptyTue Jan 29, 2013 10:46 am

Jenni wrote:
I tend to think so too. I mean I think it can all be boiled down to quantum physics...

I do too.
And that isn't synonymous to unknowable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SHARED REALITY AND THE RELATIONAL UNDERPINNINGS OF SYSTEM-JUSTIFYING BELIEFS   SHARED REALITY AND THE RELATIONAL UNDERPINNINGS OF  SYSTEM-JUSTIFYING BELIEFS Empty

Back to top Go down

SHARED REALITY AND THE RELATIONAL UNDERPINNINGS OF SYSTEM-JUSTIFYING BELIEFS
Page 1 of 1