HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Still Waiting for 3D Goggles to Mature

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Still Waiting for 3D Goggles to Mature Empty
PostSubject: Still Waiting for 3D Goggles to Mature   Still Waiting for 3D Goggles to Mature EmptyWed May 02, 2018 5:36 am

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Still Waiting for 3D Goggles to Mature   Still Waiting for 3D Goggles to Mature EmptyWed May 02, 2018 5:46 am

Looking through the "experiences" I have to conclude "No. It's not mature yet."
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Still Waiting for 3D Goggles to Mature   Still Waiting for 3D Goggles to Mature EmptyWed Jan 02, 2019 6:28 am

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Still Waiting for 3D Goggles to Mature   Still Waiting for 3D Goggles to Mature EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 7:38 pm

A friend of mine, my go-to guy for technology, recommended I look into FPV goggles.  These are "first person view" goggles meant to be used with drones.

Apparently, some/most/all of them can be hooked up to almost any video source.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Still Waiting for 3D Goggles to Mature   Still Waiting for 3D Goggles to Mature EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 9:37 pm

My friend linked me to an eBay listing with goggles for $73.  These same goggles are $410 at Amazon.  Maybe the eBay seller saw them fall off a truck?  Checked around on the internet and didn't see anything else in this price range or below, and this model says it works with RGB video input such as you can get out of a DVD.  They're designed for drones, gaming, or "watching DVDs."

So we'll see.  If they work it'll be cool, but I won't be too surprised if they're shit at that price.

P.S. - Don't care about 3D capability because I have no 3D DVDs, or a player capable of playing them.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Still Waiting for 3D Goggles to Mature   Still Waiting for 3D Goggles to Mature EmptySat Jul 25, 2020 7:49 am

The goggles arrived Thursday, and they work.  The nosepiece that came with them had to be removed, because they wouldn't sit on my face (and I don't think my face is all that unusual?)  The ear buds that come with the glasses are shite, and I need to find or make an adapter to use normal stereo headphones.  The resolution of the screens is okay, but doesn't look like anything special.  I may need to alter, or build, a new rubber grommet to make the glasses comfortable on my face for long periods of time.

I need to tinker, in other words, to make the experience acceptable.

But they work.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Still Waiting for 3D Goggles to Mature   Still Waiting for 3D Goggles to Mature EmptySat Nov 28, 2020 5:47 pm

Ads on TV show gaming with the Oculus Quest goggles to be pretty amazing, if the commercials are to be believed.

But there's no indication if you can use them for simply watching movies, and even during Black Friday they're fucking $300.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Still Waiting for 3D Goggles to Mature   Still Waiting for 3D Goggles to Mature EmptySat Jan 08, 2022 11:41 pm

Here it is 2022 and I'm still seeing ads for Oculus Quests, still waiting for any content to make them worthwhile.

So far it looks like it's mostly FPS games (first person shooter).  Not interested in those.
https://www.cnet.com/tech/gaming/best-vr-headsets/

The few exploration games give me vertigo watching. I don't want to throw up.

But future rigs will include eye-tracking, hand-tracking, augmented reality, better-quality video and audio.  When mature technologically, the market will exist for worthwhile apps.  Unfortunately, it looks like this won't happen in 2022 either.
Quote :
All that said, VR doesn't have many practical business uses quite yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Still Waiting for 3D Goggles to Mature   Still Waiting for 3D Goggles to Mature Empty

Back to top Go down

Still Waiting for 3D Goggles to Mature
Page 1 of 1