HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker) Empty
PostSubject: Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker)   Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker) EmptySat Dec 12, 2015 7:03 pm

The other Tornatore movie arrived today.  So far it's a lot like a Fellini movie, with wildly exotic characters all over the screen.

Two kinda weird things about this print.

One, this is apparently a Philippine print -- the box script is in English and what I think is Philippine or maybe Cambodian.  The film itself is in Italian with English subtitles.

Sort of.  Two: You know how we're always making fun of the Japanese for getting their Rs and their Ls mixed up?  Well the subtitle writer here keeps using an R when he means an N.  "Success car be yours."  "This soldier warts to carry the memory of your kisses."  Requires a level of concentration I'm not used to, reading the subtitles and interpreting at the same time Smile
Wikipedia wrote:
Many of Tornatore's films reflect the strong influence of Fellini. Indeed, L'Uomo delle Stelle contains elements of Fellini's 1955 Il Bidone (another film about despicable con men preying on the innocent southern peasantry) as well as Fellini's 1952 film Lo Sceicco Bianco (also about a desperate, impressionable young woman who becomes romantically infatuated with the figure of a male celebrity, and who is eventually driven insane by the inevitable shock of disillusionment).
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker)   Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker) EmptyTue Dec 15, 2015 11:14 am

Okay, maybe this explains both mysteries. I guess this is a Korean print.

I didn't know Korean script looked so much like Cambodian, and so little like Japanese.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker)   Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker) EmptyTue Dec 15, 2015 11:47 am

NoCoPilot wrote:
-- the box script is in English and what I think is Philippine or maybe Cambodian.
The Filipino language (Tagalog) is written in the Latin alphabet, almost identical to English. It's been a long time since the Baybayin alphabet was used.

Last edited by _Howard on Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker)   Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker) EmptyTue Dec 15, 2015 11:57 am

Oops, my ignorance is showing.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker)   Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker) EmptyTue Dec 15, 2015 12:07 pm

You've probably just not been in the Philippines.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker)   Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker) EmptyTue Dec 15, 2015 12:13 pm

True, but I have a few Filippino friends. I should know better.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker)   Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker) EmptyTue Dec 15, 2015 12:26 pm

Do your Filipino friends know how you spell Filipino?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker)   Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker) EmptyTue Dec 15, 2015 12:44 pm

No, they don't read the Latin alphabet.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker)   Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker) EmptyTue Dec 15, 2015 3:15 pm

Just an aside: When I was there, I noticed that the Filipinos all pronounced it Pilipino.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker)   Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker) EmptyTue Dec 15, 2015 7:50 pm

That's punny.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker)   Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker) EmptyWed Dec 16, 2015 1:14 pm

Out of curiosity, I looked up "Pilipino." It's a real thing.

Quote :
Cultural Note: Although the word "Filipino" is acceptable in Filipino (the Philippine language), most Filipinos will still say Pilipino when referring to a Filipino person while speaking in Filipino/Tagalog.

For example: "Ako ay Pilipino." ("I am Filipino.")

Why? Primarily because a "p" sound is easier for a Filipino to pronounce than an "f" sound. In fact, even though the letters c, f, j, x, z, etc. have formally been included in the Philippine/Filipino alphabet, there is still an overwhelming tendency to transliterate foreign words into native pronunciation forms.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker)   Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker) EmptyWed Dec 16, 2015 1:24 pm

I read something about Reggie Lee (an actor), and he was quite fierce about his heritage "I'm pinoy all the way" - which apparently means Filipino.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker)   Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker) EmptyWed Dec 16, 2015 2:10 pm

Sometimes "Pinay" is used to refer to female Filipinos.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker)   Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker) EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 10:27 am

Phillip
Philippines
Filipino
Filippino
Fillipino
I can't be expected to make sense of this
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker)   Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker) Empty

Back to top Go down

Movie: L'Uomo delle stelle (The Star Maker)
Page 1 of 1