HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Movie: Exporting Raymond

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Movie: Exporting Raymond Empty
PostSubject: Movie: Exporting Raymond   Movie: Exporting Raymond EmptyFri Sep 25, 2015 8:17 am

Shows the attempts of director Phil Rosenthal, creator of the TV sitcom Everybody Loves Raymond, to create a version, called Everybody Loves Costya, for Russian TV.

There are language barriers. There are fashion barriers. But most of all there are cultural barriers, where a central male character who is henpecked is not considered "funny" in Russia. The costume designer wants everybody in ball gowns. The actors want to play everything like a super serious drama. The cast and crew all need to split their time between several shows. There is no time for rehearsal. Casting is done without Phil's consent, based on the popularity of the actors. The head of comedy for the Russian network gets replaced and the show is put on hiatus. The new head of comedy believes only in broad slapstick comedy. Filming takes place in a WWII-era production studio that looks like a set for "Saw."

The "Jewishness" of the concept is mostly lost on these Slavs.

In the end they get the show together and it becomes a hit, but the road was long and treacherous. Very illuminating documentary, about the differences -- and the similarities -- between cultures.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Exporting Raymond   Movie: Exporting Raymond EmptyMon Sep 28, 2015 10:23 am

I think I only watched one, maybe two, episodes of that program. Didn't find it funny at all.
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Exporting Raymond   Movie: Exporting Raymond EmptyMon Sep 28, 2015 1:15 pm

_Howard wrote:
I think I only watched one, maybe two, episodes of that program. Didn't find it funny at all.
I didn't either. My mom likes it. But I can't watch it, the family in it drives me nuts. They are nasty to each other and all Raymond has to do is enforce some boundaries and he'd make his and his wife's life easier- but he doesn't. He's not henpecked either, he's a mama's boy, he wants it all done for him.
Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movie: Exporting Raymond   Movie: Exporting Raymond Empty

Back to top Go down

Movie: Exporting Raymond
Page 1 of 1