Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

On-line Banking Empty
PostSubject: On-line Banking   On-line Banking EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 5:15 pm

This is under government and finance - but it's personal finance.

Has anyone here used an on-line bank? I am seriously considering it, but am a bit hesitant.

The problem is that the big banks no longer pay interest on savings accounts. I have put what money I have in several different banks, just to be sure it is all FDIC insured. I have money in Chase, a bank that I find despicable, but their local branch is handy so I opened one savings account there. That was about three years ago, and they were paying one percent interest. I looked over this year's statement from Chase (I normally just shove them in a drawer unopened). Even though the Fed rates have remained nearly constant since I opened this account, the interest rate was down to 0.05 percent in January. By June, it had fallen to 0.01 percent. That is the lowest interest rate that a bank can pay and still list the account as interest bearing.

So I'm getting a whole $25 a year in interest on that account. Before the debacle of 2008, it would have been around $10,000 per year. No bank pays their depositors any interest any more, but I thought I could do better than $25! Today, I got a letter from a bank with which I have my credit card (yes, I have only one credit card). They have an on-line bank, and they offered 0.75% interest, and a $500 cash bonus if the deposit is at least $50,000 and is left for 90 days.

Now, 0.75% is extremely low and is unforgivable considering the interest rates that bank charge its borrowers, but it's 75 times what Chase is giving me - and I hate Chase on principle - so I'm considering it.

But the idea of just shipping off a large chunk of change to an internet site is bothersome. So I'm wondering if anyone else has used an internet bank and how it has worked for you.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

On-line Banking Empty
PostSubject: Re: On-line Banking   On-line Banking EmptyTue Aug 11, 2015 9:45 pm

No. I do a lot of stuff online, but it's with mainstream banks like Chase and Citi.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

On-line Banking Empty
PostSubject: Re: On-line Banking   On-line Banking EmptyWed Aug 12, 2015 8:39 am

I bank exclusively with Credit Unions. They're owned by the members and are non-profit, so fees are lower or non-existent, interest rates are higher and customer service actually exists. Though not insured by the FDIC (which is SEVERELY underfunded), they're insured to the same limits by the NCUA -- which is actually solvent.

Just yesterday I finally convinced my aunt to pull all of her money out of Chase. I spent 3 weeks trying to get myself set up as a co-signor on her account (I'm her POA and her executor) and never have I dealt with any organization so fucked up, so un-customer-friendly, so unsure of their own procedures. I dealt with a dozen different people and got a dozen different answers and only completed the task with the help of a senior headquarters manager. I was so disgusted I recommended vacating the bank ASAP.

Many years ago, I deposited my paycheck with BOA and got a receipt from the teller. A week later I started bouncing checks. I inquired why they were bouncing my checks (at about $35 NSF fee each) and was told my account was out of money. When I sat down with an account manager it became apparent my paycheck had never been credited to my account. I showed him the deposit slip from the teller -- and he told me that was "not sufficient paperwork." I closed that account later the same day and never looked back.

I have had mortgages with BOA, CitiBank, Source One, PNC, Countrywide, and Wells-Fargo. All of them suck syphilitic donkey dick.

Meanwhile, I currently have accounts with both BECU (Boeing Employees CU) and CFCU (Cascade Federal CU) and been totally, completely happy with both of them. I do all of my banking -- including paying all bills -- online. It's the way to go.

It wouldn't matter if there was a branch nearby.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

On-line Banking Empty
PostSubject: Re: On-line Banking   On-line Banking EmptyWed Aug 12, 2015 8:44 am

By the way, ALL banks (even CUs) pay next-to-nothing as interest, because the prime lending rate is still effectively zero.  CFCU pays 0.25%, my aunt's Chase account paid 0.01%.

Good reading.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

On-line Banking Empty
PostSubject: Re: On-line Banking   On-line Banking Empty

Back to top Go down

On-line Banking
Page 1 of 1