HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Movie: The Reluctant Fundamentalist

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Movie: The Reluctant Fundamentalist Empty
PostSubject: Movie: The Reluctant Fundamentalist   Movie: The Reluctant Fundamentalist EmptySun Jul 26, 2015 3:46 am

The book this movie was based on made a huge splash when it was published, back around 2007 or so. I didn't read it because I'd had enough of 9/11 analyses, and a fictional account seemed superfluous.

The "reluctant fundamentalist" is a Pakistani man who emigrated to the U.S. at age 18 to pursue the American Dream. He gets a job at a Wall Street firm, rises in the ranks rapidly, and is well on his way to becoming fabulously wealthy.

Then 9/11 happens.

Suddenly, being from the Middle East is a huge disadvantage. He is stopped & frisked at airports, he is questioned by police on the streets. When his firm sends him overseas (to the Philippines) for work he almost isn't allowed back in the country.

He is exposed to the ugly side of American xenophobia, and after some particularly uncharitable treatment he quits the firm and returns to Pakistan. There he is involved in calming tensions, teaching classes on non-violence, and meeting with rebel leaders to try to dissuade them.

This last activity brings him to the attention of the CIA, who send a "reporter" to interview him. He sees through this ruse immediately, and tries to explain to the agent what his role is in Pakistan. The agent doesn't believe him.

Things escalate, violence breaks out, the agent is injured in a firefight. In the end he discovers the Pakistani was telling the truth, but walking a very fine line in dealing with the people he was dealing with.

The moral ambiguity of the situations, the quicksand of shifting alliances, the prevailing dread of something about to happen reminded me very much of the movie "Syriana," which I absolutely loved. I don't think "The Reluctant Fundamentalist" was quite on that level, but it was definitely two hours well-spent.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Movie: The Reluctant Fundamentalist Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie: The Reluctant Fundamentalist   Movie: The Reluctant Fundamentalist EmptySat Aug 08, 2015 4:45 pm

One scene in the movie has haunted me.  The journalist/CIA agent is interviewing the Pakistani (Changez), and Changez mentions that the 9/11 attacks were diabolically clever.  Using nothing more than common box cutters, the hijackers wre able to commandeer flying bombs and do incredible damage, bringing down two huge iconic skyscrapers.  Unlike the expensive, tactically difficult and ultimately unsuccessful truck bomb attack on the WTC, this plot was virtually undetectable, virtually free, and -- except for the fact that it was a suicide mission -- virtually risk free.  He called it a work of genius.

Frighteningly cold blooded, but this assessment is undeniably accurate.
Back to top Go down

Movie: The Reluctant Fundamentalist
Page 1 of 1