HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Inside the Dynomak: A Fusion Technology Cheaper Than Coal

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
richard09

richard09

Inside the Dynomak: A Fusion Technology Cheaper Than Coal Empty
PostSubject: Inside the Dynomak: A Fusion Technology Cheaper Than Coal   Inside the Dynomak: A Fusion Technology Cheaper Than Coal EmptyMon Jul 13, 2015 7:36 pm

As we always say, it'll be good if it works - but...

Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Inside the Dynomak: A Fusion Technology Cheaper Than Coal   Inside the Dynomak: A Fusion Technology Cheaper Than Coal EmptyTue Jul 14, 2015 5:33 pm

I think fusion-generated electricity is many, many years away. If ever.
As far as cost goes, it was predicted that fission plants would be so cheap that people wouldn't even have electric meters on their houses; they would just pay a dollar or two a month. Of course, it turned out that fission-generated juice is the most expensive there is. I wouldn't doubt that it will be the same with fusion, if it ever happens.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Inside the Dynomak: A Fusion Technology Cheaper Than Coal   Inside the Dynomak: A Fusion Technology Cheaper Than Coal EmptySat Jul 31, 2021 9:04 pm

I agree with Howard here, fusion power is always "just 40 years away."  The technical difficulties, as I have read about them, sound just 1000x more complicated than cheaper power generation methods.

That hasn't stopped a local company from breaking ground on a brand new fusion power facility.  Color me skeptical.

Whatever happened to the TRIGA reactor?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Inside the Dynomak: A Fusion Technology Cheaper Than Coal   Inside the Dynomak: A Fusion Technology Cheaper Than Coal EmptyWed Feb 09, 2022 7:58 pm

The tokamak managed a 5-second burst, the limit the machine could be allowed to operate without melting down.

Perhaps the "40 years away" is now down to just "35 years away."
Inside the Dynomak: A Fusion Technology Cheaper Than Coal 17b787e5-96d3-4cdf-a5c1-ed86bb09d2ce_1.89cae52de7c792f6e3615d6a4ce1b56a
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Inside the Dynomak: A Fusion Technology Cheaper Than Coal   Inside the Dynomak: A Fusion Technology Cheaper Than Coal EmptySun Jul 10, 2022 7:54 am

The Natrium™ reactor appears to be a competitor of the TRIGA, and it is now way less than "40 years away." I have long thought new-generation nuclear was the solution to climate change and power needs. This is the first I've heard that somebody's actually building one.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Inside the Dynomak: A Fusion Technology Cheaper Than Coal   Inside the Dynomak: A Fusion Technology Cheaper Than Coal EmptyMon Dec 12, 2022 6:45 am

Is fusion less than 40 years away finally?

Probably not.
Quote :
...this result is miles away from actual energy gain required for the production of electricity. Therefore, we can say (it) is a success of the science but a long way from providing useful energy.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Inside the Dynomak: A Fusion Technology Cheaper Than Coal   Inside the Dynomak: A Fusion Technology Cheaper Than Coal EmptyMon Mar 06, 2023 9:46 am

Another new approach. This one does look more promising than tokamak reactors, but still needs a lot of work.

A New Way to Achieve Nuclear Fusion: Helion
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Inside the Dynomak: A Fusion Technology Cheaper Than Coal   Inside the Dynomak: A Fusion Technology Cheaper Than Coal EmptyMon Mar 06, 2023 10:07 am

Oddly enough Richard, the link you shared is to the facility I mentioned in the third post, which was just being built a couple miles from my house.  Apparently they've successfully created fusion in the lab.

Whether this fusion energy is capturable, or whether this fusion energy is anywhere near self-sustaining, is yet to be revealed.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Inside the Dynomak: A Fusion Technology Cheaper Than Coal   Inside the Dynomak: A Fusion Technology Cheaper Than Coal EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 6:30 am

The South Korean tokamak just managed 48 seconds. This is, despite everything, impressive.
https://www.cnn.com/2024/04/01/climate/nuclear-fusion-record-korea-climate-intl/index.html
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Inside the Dynomak: A Fusion Technology Cheaper Than Coal   Inside the Dynomak: A Fusion Technology Cheaper Than Coal EmptyMon May 06, 2024 2:37 pm

The Onion is apparently sending out articles for unsuspecting periodicals to pick up.
https://www.ecoticias.com/en/impossible-atom-engine-einstein/1658/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Inside the Dynomak: A Fusion Technology Cheaper Than Coal   Inside the Dynomak: A Fusion Technology Cheaper Than Coal Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1