HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Book: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Book: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Empty
PostSubject: Book: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest   Book: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest EmptySun May 10, 2015 11:45 am

After watching the Kesey movie (below) I realized, although I'm a big fan of the movie, I'd never read the book. So on my way home from work Monday -- having left at 8:30 in the morning -- PERMANENTLY! -- my first act as a retired person was to stop by the excellent bookstore on the way home and pick up the first of many Great American Novels I've always wanted to read.

I'm about 3/5th of the way through it -- keep stopping to do other stuff -- but enjoying it. Amazing how well Michael Douglas captured the story and characters in the movie. This is, so far, one of those rare cases where the movie is as good as the source material.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Book: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest   Book: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest EmptyWed May 20, 2015 2:11 pm

That is a great book. I read it before the movie came out. I can't envision how I would have accepted the movie had I not read the book, but I do know that having read the book lent a lot more to the characters. I think that one of the biggest problems with many movies is that they can't take the time to flesh out the characters as a book can. I really do like the movie and have watched the DVD a few times over the years. I have been planning to read the book again (as soon as I find it).
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest   Book: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest EmptyWed May 20, 2015 3:35 pm

I was surprised to read that Ken Kesey never liked the movie; he thought not having "Chief" Bromden narrate the movie was a big mistake.

That said, I have a hard time picturing how a character who is thought to be deaf & dumb through 4/5 of the movie would do narration.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Book: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest   Book: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest EmptyWed May 20, 2015 4:51 pm

Narrations are difficult to pull off well. The original release of Blade Runner had a narration. It was fucking horrible. The "Director's Release," which kicked ass, had no narration. Much, much better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest   Book: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest Empty

Back to top Go down

Book: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Page 1 of 1