Time for a New Computer?

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Time for a New Computer? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Time for a New Computer?   Time for a New Computer? - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 9:23 am

Compare this to work. (I won't have all the version numbers right here, but you get the idea).

We had to migrate from Windows XP a couple years ago because Microsoft stopped supporting it. When we went to Win2010 about 30% of our self-written apps didn't work anymore, and had to be rewritten. Many of our apps rely on outside websites to pull data, and the latest Microsoft Internet Explorer isn't compatible with Win2010. So we had to use IE9 instead of IE11, but some websites won't work with IE9 so we had to give users the option of switching between IE9 and IE11. Our remote access software was made inoperable by some security patch to Win2010, so nobody could work remotely for a week until our developers rewrote our code. Once thata was done, several of the apps that users wanted to launch would not launch within the altered remote environment, causing.... Well, you get the idea.

It's a network of patches and band-aids that causes at least one major failure every day or two. And Microsoft always says "That's your problem, not ours." We have three full-time technicians who do nothing but fix Microsoft security holes.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Time for a New Computer?   Time for a New Computer? - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 9:34 am

Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Time for a New Computer?   Time for a New Computer? - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 10:29 am

NoCoPilot wrote:
When we went to Win2010 ...
What is Win2010? I can find nothing on Microsoft's website about that version of Windows.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Time for a New Computer?   Time for a New Computer? - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 11:11 am

Okay, it's Windoze 7, released in 2010. I told you i wasn't going to get the versions right.

Some people had to go to Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 for software compatibility. Others couldn't, for the same reason.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Time for a New Computer?   Time for a New Computer? - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 11:13 am

Sometimes the capabilities of the new phones is kind of cool. My wife just sent me a picture of the warmups for the Bulls v Cavaliers basketball game she and our grandson are attending in Cleveland.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Time for a New Computer?   Time for a New Computer? - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 11:14 am

_Howard wrote:
Then you should have done it yesterday when you were younger. Happy Damned Birthday, old man.
I wondered where this came from. I have corrected my profile.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Time for a New Computer?   Time for a New Computer? - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 11:16 am

Quote :
We had to migrate from Windows XP...
Here's their first mistake. The migration was optional, not at all necessary.

My wife's IT dept. insisted that they change to Window 7 (before XP support was ended). They had a few problems, but not much. And their security is extremely tight.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Time for a New Computer?   Time for a New Computer? - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 11:53 am

_Howard wrote:
The migration was optional, not at all necessary.
Once MS sunsets an operating system it's impossible to get any technical support. I don't think it's "optional" at that point.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Time for a New Computer?   Time for a New Computer? - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 11:58 am

It's difficult to get support from Microsoft. There are other (paid) sources.
Of course, if your business is big enough, you will have an employee with an office in Redmond. That helps a lot.

Microsoft fucked up when it ceased support for XP. It was the first piece of software they released that didn't have all its users eagerly awaiting a replacement. Unusual for Microsoft. The only way they could get most people to give up XP was to end the support. Lousy deal.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Time for a New Computer?   Time for a New Computer? - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 1:40 pm

_Howard wrote:
Microsoft fucked up when it ceased support for XP.
Well, since there is no on-going licensing fee they have to keep selling new versions to support their revenue stream.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Time for a New Computer?   Time for a New Computer? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Time for a New Computer?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2