Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Movie: "Argo" Empty
PostSubject: Movie: "Argo"   Movie: "Argo" EmptyThu Feb 28, 2013 9:31 pm

Oh fuck no.

I watched the best picture winner "Argo" on PPV tonight. It was really suspenseful and really well-done. It had you biting your nails all the way through (it's about the 1979 Iranian hostage crisis, in case you haven't heard). The filmmakers did a pretty good job of setting up the events that led to the hostage taking -- the assassination of Mossaddegh, the overthrow of the Shah, the riots demanding his return to Iran to face justice. They were a little light on WHY Mossaddegh was removed, and WHY Shah Pahlavi was favored by the US, but I give them credit: this was not the real story.

I sat through the entire movie, enjoying the excellent movie making, but wondering how they would handle the denouement, the release of the 52 other hostages.

Fuck fuck FUCK! They completely blew past the unsavory facts, the real reason the hostage crisis should be remembered, the real tragedy here. They fucking NEVER MENTIONED THE OCTOBER SURPRISE!!! Nor the failed "Eagle Claw" operation 9 months after the so-called Canadian Caper. And according to online sources, they took a lot of dramatic license with the facts to make the ending more suspenseful -- I can forgive Ben Affleck for that. But for glossing over the Reagan treason issue which is central to the hostage crisis?

Unforgivable.
Back to top Go down
Jenni
Admin
Jenni

Movie: "Argo" Empty
PostSubject: Re: Movie: "Argo"   Movie: "Argo" EmptyMon Mar 04, 2013 2:03 pm

I haven't seen it yet, although I want to, so my commentary is limited- but I thought telling the previously untold part was the entire idea of the thing? Wouldn't the OS conspiracy really be an entire separate story unto itself?
Back to top Go down
https://unintelligibledebate.forumotion.com

Movie: "Argo"
Page 1 of 1