HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Movie: CitizenFour

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Movie: CitizenFour Empty
PostSubject: Movie: CitizenFour   Movie: CitizenFour EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 4:47 pm

Last night Laura Poitras was on The Daily Show talking about her new film about Edward Snowden, "CitizenFour." It looked like something I had to see.

It was good. I knew Laura Poitras was a filmmaker, and I knew Edward Snowden chose her because she was a fearless critic of government overreach, but I guess I never knew before that she filmed almost all of the first contacts with Snowden. These weren't re-creations by actors -- this was the real scene as it went down.

Having read the story from a couple different people already I was familiar with the facts, but actually seeing them play out in real time was revelatory.

Of course as things got crazy and Ed has to leave Hong Kong, and eventually got stranded in Moscow, she wasn't able to film every step. These parts of the story are told with title cards.

But wow, what a story.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Movie: CitizenFour   Movie: CitizenFour EmptyWed Nov 19, 2014 5:12 pm

I saw that Daily Show. I will watch CitizenFour the first chance I get. Looks fascinating (as does Rosewater).
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: CitizenFour   Movie: CitizenFour EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 7:51 am

apparently it won an Oscar Sunday night. It was good but not THAT good.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Movie: CitizenFour   Movie: CitizenFour EmptyWed Feb 25, 2015 10:53 am

It doesn't have to be THAT good to win an Oscar. It just has to be (subjectively) better than the other entrants.

It's like you and your friend running from a bear. You don't have to be able to outrun the bear; you just have to outrun your friend.

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: CitizenFour   Movie: CitizenFour EmptyFri Dec 27, 2019 4:14 pm

After reading his book I decided to buy the DVD of Citizenfour.

Several Democratic candidates, as well as Hillary and Barack, have said that Ed should stand trial for what he did. The consensus opinion has not yet come around to my view, that he’s a whistleblower and a hero.

We’ll see if the 2020 election brings him up and/or home.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: CitizenFour   Movie: CitizenFour EmptyMon Dec 30, 2019 2:51 pm

In the extras on the Blu-Ray disc of Citizenfour there are some deleted scenes, filmed in 2014 I think, where Snowden talks about what “the next president” will have to do now that the NSA spying is out in the open. There’s also a New York Times Timestalk public forum where Snowden talks about how the NSA pressured Obama to INCREASE Bush-era, 9/11-era surveillance rather than scale it back.

Fascinating predictions about where we are now, and why. I’m sure Trump’s election was not unrelated to the Bush/Obama government overreach.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Movie: CitizenFour   Movie: CitizenFour EmptyTue Jan 21, 2020 11:59 am

And the Brazilian government is also overreaching, this time charging Glenn Greenwald for his series on corruption within the Brazilian government.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/glenn-greenwald-brazil-cybercrimes_n_5e2723f3c5b63211761a3c84
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Movie: CitizenFour   Movie: CitizenFour Empty

Back to top Go down

Movie: CitizenFour
Page 1 of 1