HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Book: In The Shadow of Memory

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Book: In The Shadow of Memory Empty
PostSubject: Book: In The Shadow of Memory   Book: In The Shadow of Memory EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 7:55 pm

Just started this 2003 book by Floyd Skloot about living with drain bamage. Floyd's brain was attacked by a virus in December 1988, leaving his brain looking like Swiss cheese on an MRI. His cognitive disorder is similar to Alzheimer's or dementia but it occurred literally overnight.

He does things like put dirty dishes in the oven instead of the dishwasher, he forgets things from one second to the next, he can't remember his children's' names.

How he managed to write a book I'm not sure yet.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Book: In The Shadow of Memory   Book: In The Shadow of Memory EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 8:00 pm

Neither is he, probably.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: In The Shadow of Memory   Book: In The Shadow of Memory EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 8:02 pm

The Policeman's Beard is Half-Constructed.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: In The Shadow of Memory   Book: In The Shadow of Memory EmptyWed Oct 29, 2014 10:44 pm

Some of the language malapropisms he frequently uses, in real life, not in his writing, are interesting.

*blood tower traffic for rush hour traffic
*I'm having a kickback for I'm having a relapse
*sombrero reporters for soprano recorders
*pass me the tracks for pass me the gravy (because gravy reminds him of grooves)
*tooth shellac for tooth plaque
*deviation for meditation
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Book: In The Shadow of Memory   Book: In The Shadow of Memory EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 2:00 pm

The latter chapters are about his childhood, as he has reconstructed it. He was abused by his parents, his mother was borderline psychotic and a pathological liar. His immune system was compromised by years of physical and emotional abuse, which may explain why his brain was attacked by a virus.

In the last couple of chapters his mother develops Alzheimer's, and becomes a sweet if entirely helpless and forgetful old crone. The son muses on whether he'd trade his old foul tempered mother for the one whose memory has been erased.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Book: In The Shadow of Memory   Book: In The Shadow of Memory Empty

Back to top Go down

Book: In The Shadow of Memory
Page 1 of 1