HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

A Place for Religion

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

A Place for Religion Empty
PostSubject: A Place for Religion   A Place for Religion EmptySat May 04, 2024 2:29 pm

The book I'm reading on human fallibility, "Bozo Sapiens," mentions in chapter 5 that people generally inherit their worldviews from their parents, where they're imbedded before the age of reason, before the child develops the ability to think critically and reject views that don't make sense. The examples he gives are papal infallibility, whether the Earth is round, whether all creatures were created by God, and so forth.

But this immediately rings alarm bells for me. Science is not a belief system in the same way as religion; it is testable and reproducible.  

We can PROVE the Earth is not flat.  We can PROVE the Earth is older than 6000 years. We can PROVE that Noah's flood didn't happen. We can PROVE the Pope is human.

There are "known unknowns" that are currently not totally explainable by science. The origin of life. The origin of the universe. The origin of human intelligence. Why you're attracted to certain people. Where we go after we die. 

These are the logical domain of religion, since the best science can say is "we don't know." I think Occam's Razor argues for non-magical explanations, but I'm willing to accept magic as a valid answer until we know more.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

A Place for Religion Empty
PostSubject: Re: A Place for Religion   A Place for Religion EmptySun May 05, 2024 8:16 am

The God Of The Gaps is unsatisfactory for the majority of people. It is a desperate fall-back attempt to hang on to ignorance as a noble state.
Back to top Go down

A Place for Religion
Page 1 of 1