HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gibson & Bacigalupi

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Gibson & Bacigalupi Empty
PostSubject: Gibson & Bacigalupi   Gibson & Bacigalupi EmptyFri May 07, 2021 9:28 am

Trying to get back into reading longer books, getting my attention span back after four years of Trump. On my "to read" shelf since 2012 has been "The Windup Girl" by Bacigalupi, which is described as Gibson-like. It takes place in Bangkok after the fossil fuel industry has collapsed, everything is powered by springs or genetically-engineered Mammoths. The real powers in society are held by the calorie corporations, because food shortage is endemic.

So far, 68 pages in, it's mostly unfamiliar places names and unexplained technology. Hopefully it'll begin to make sense in the following 300 pages. It won every award out there, so it should be worth the effort.

Meanwhile, I've ordered some William Gibson. I'd tried to read "Neuromancer" and "Mona Lisa Overdrive" back in the day and found them just too thick to wade into. We'll see if a retired old man with lots of time on his hands has more patience.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Gibson & Bacigalupi   Gibson & Bacigalupi EmptySat May 08, 2021 5:40 am

Bangkok is surrounded by a high earthen dike to keep the rising sea waters out.  Calories are currency, and muscle power is paramount.  The temperature everywhere is sweltering.

Other than this, Bacigalupi postulates that little has changed.  Commerce goes on (shipping is by dirigible, not ship), international conglomerates control everything, and ethnic animosities still punctuate society. Priests pray at the sea wall that it may hold together, rather than actually investing in maintenance. 120 pages in, the book is less about the changes in a post-oil society than the similarities.

I was hoping for a bit more 'science' and a bit less 'fiction.'
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Gibson & Bacigalupi   Gibson & Bacigalupi EmptySun May 16, 2021 9:05 pm

There's a page-long section in the book, I almost want to post it verbatim but there's too much history behind it that would have to be explained first. So I'll just summarize.

In this future (23-something Bangkok) most natural species are extinct (kinda like Blade Runner) but gene designers have come up with disease-resistant copies that move and look like their source species.  With small modifications.

Like cats that can change colors like chameleons.  One character keeps one as a pet (they're mostly feral, apparently to keep the (real?) rat population under control).  The man says it is "a hungry little beast" which is a good thing because "if it's hungry enough it will succeed us, unless we design a better predator."

"We've run the analysis of that," Kanya said. "The food web only unravels more completely. Another super-predator won't solve the damage already done."

Gibbons snorts. "The food web unravelled when man first went a-seafaring.  When we first lit fires on the broad savannas of Africa.  We have only accelerated the phenomenon.  The food web you talk about is nostalgia, nothing more."

He then goes on to say with the Earth's ecology ravaged by man, the only hope is to continue to develop new organisms to serve mankind's needs, and to stay one step ahead of the plagues and ecological disasters that have followed the collapse of the natural world.

In other words, mankind has no choice but to continue to try to play god, and innovate his way out of the mess he's made.

The message is dire.

But holds some truth.  The damage is already well underway and well beyond reversal.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Gibson & Bacigalupi   Gibson & Bacigalupi EmptyMon May 17, 2021 9:04 pm

Just finished it. Must say I'm underwhelmed. The many many shifting alliances are hard to follow, the degree of normalcy seems unlikely given the destruction the world has experienced, and the denouement left me pretty disappointed. It was not rendered with anywhere NEAR the detail of the rest of the story, like it was tacked on at the last minute, as an afterthought.

Hugo and Nebula award winning book, really? The competition must've been especially weak that year.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Gibson & Bacigalupi   Gibson & Bacigalupi EmptyMon Oct 11, 2021 12:31 pm

Some really cool matte paintings by an Art Director at Industrial Light & Magic inspired by "The Windup Girl":
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/eqK5Z
Gibson & Bacigalupi Julien-gauthier-dam02-06
Gibson & Bacigalupi Julien-gauthier-bangkok2184-06-springlife-factory
Gibson & Bacigalupi Julien-gauthier-bangkok2184-02-street-river
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gibson & Bacigalupi   Gibson & Bacigalupi Empty

Back to top Go down

Gibson & Bacigalupi
Page 1 of 1