HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Mel Brooks' Most Embarassing Moment

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Mel Brooks' Most Embarassing Moment Empty
PostSubject: Mel Brooks' Most Embarassing Moment   Mel Brooks' Most Embarassing Moment EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 3:56 pm

Quote :
The week of October 17–21 in 1966—that would make me about 40—was a special celebrity week on Eye Guess. Bill Cullen was the host. The game was very similar to Concentration. I was teamed up with Julia Meade. Remember her? Actress, very pretty young lady, blonde... Okay, never mind. I don't think I won, but I did get the take-home game. Anyway, the show is over, and I start walking toward the podium to say good night to Bill, to thank him for having me on. He starts coming toward me cross-stage, and I don't know what he's doing. His feet are flopping. His hands are flying everywhere. He's doing this kind of wacky walk-of-the-unfortunates that Jerry Lewis used to do. So I figured, what the hell, I'll join him. I start doing, I dunno, this multiple-sclerosis walk, flapping my arms and doing the Milton Berle cross legs—my own Jerry Lewis impression... And Julia is whispering, "No! He's crippled, Mel!" I don't even hear her. Finally we meet in the middle, we hug, and he says to me, "You know, you're the only comic who's ever had the nerve to make fun of my crippled walk. Everyone's so careful, it makes me feel even worse." And I realize, Oh, my God, this guy is really crippled! It was my worst moment—and if you weren't me, probably the funniest thing that ever happened.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

Mel Brooks' Most Embarassing Moment Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mel Brooks' Most Embarassing Moment   Mel Brooks' Most Embarassing Moment EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 4:06 pm

I remember Bill Cullen from game shows in the 50s and early 60s; he was very popular. Never knew he had a physical problem. Of course, he was just about always behind a podium. I can easily envision Mel Brooks - one of the funniest men to ever live - unknowingly making fun of a crippled man's walk. I'm sure anyone who is familiar with Brooks can picture this. It had to have been hilarious to anyone there.
Back to top Go down

Mel Brooks' Most Embarassing Moment
Page 1 of 1