Boeing Starliner

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
richard09

richard09

Boeing Starliner Empty
PostSubject: Boeing Starliner   Boeing Starliner EmptySun Oct 25, 2020 12:49 pm

The first (unmanned) demo flight to the ISS was a serious embarrassment for the Boeing Starliner. Now this. Someone told me that Boeing was really a crap company. I'm beginning to believe him. And it looks as if somebody else does too.

Boeing Starliner commander Christopher Ferguson bows out of first crewed mission due to family commitments
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

Boeing Starliner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boeing Starliner   Boeing Starliner EmptyWed Aug 04, 2021 7:11 pm

Considering the first entry in this topic was more than half a year ago, this really doesn't look good. Say what you like about Musk (and god knows people do), but at least SpaceX shit works.

Launch of Boeing’s Starliner Delayed Indefinitely Due to Vexing Technical Glitch
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Boeing Starliner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boeing Starliner   Boeing Starliner EmptyWed Aug 04, 2021 7:48 pm

Boeing used to be a great place to work: great benefits, easy promotions, cutting edge work.  My dad spent his whole career there, 32 years, retiring in '79.  My sister worked there for about 3 years right out of college.

However, Boeing lost its Congressional supporters (Warren Magnuson and Henry Jackson) in the early '80s, the SST was cancelled in '71, and NASA contracts dried up, the Space Shuttle program (and everything around it) was mothballed.  Boeing went through several management changes, to try to stay profitable, leading to several disastrous errors (outsourced parts not fitting, 737-Max instability) and most union contracts being nullified or weakened to the point that most of the talent left.  The company now, from all reports, is a shambling mess.

They cannot compete with Airbus (the French-English conglomerate which is underwritten by both governments) or a couple of other commercial airplane companies, and of course there are still several hundred jets mothballed in the Arizona desert.  Newer jets are more efficient, but also way more expensive.  When I flew, I tried to get Airbus planes.  They're much more comfortable and smoother and quieter.

Circumstances and poor management.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

Boeing Starliner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boeing Starliner   Boeing Starliner EmptyTue Oct 12, 2021 3:55 pm

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Boeing Starliner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boeing Starliner   Boeing Starliner EmptyMon Mar 04, 2024 6:45 am

Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

Boeing Starliner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boeing Starliner   Boeing Starliner EmptyThu Mar 07, 2024 3:52 pm

Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

Boeing Starliner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boeing Starliner   Boeing Starliner EmptyThu Mar 21, 2024 7:03 pm

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Boeing Starliner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boeing Starliner   Boeing Starliner EmptyThu Mar 21, 2024 8:03 pm

Quote :
“And for those still deciding whether to apply for the discount, I can confirm that you will definitely be holding the door securely from the inside.”

Additional discounts for those not requiring in-flight meal.
Boeing Starliner Kabulairport-e1629119362784
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Boeing Starliner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boeing Starliner   Boeing Starliner EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 3:31 pm

One candidate I've heard mentioned for CEO is Stephanie Pope. 

https://www.boeing.com/company/bios/stephanie-pope

She seems like a good choice.  Better than some outside bean-counter.
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

Boeing Starliner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boeing Starliner   Boeing Starliner EmptyMon May 06, 2024 6:37 am

Starliner manned flight test later today. I don't know if there's an official book on whether the crew survives, but I expect the unofficial betting is pretty strong.

Watch live: NASA and Boeing's Starliner test flight launches from Cape Canaveral on Atlas 5 rocket
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Boeing Starliner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boeing Starliner   Boeing Starliner EmptyTue May 07, 2024 9:59 am

Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Boeing Starliner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boeing Starliner   Boeing Starliner EmptyThu May 09, 2024 5:44 pm

NASA sub-contractor says "shut it down before somebody dies."
https://futurism.com/the-byte/nasa-contractor-warns-boeing-valves
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Boeing Starliner Empty
PostSubject: Re: Boeing Starliner   Boeing Starliner Empty

Back to top Go down

Boeing Starliner
Page 1 of 1