HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Movie: Toy Story 4

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Movie: Toy Story 4 Empty
PostSubject: Movie: Toy Story 4   Movie: Toy Story 4 EmptyFri Jun 28, 2019 6:14 pm

I enjoyed the sly subversiveness of the first three Toy Stories, and the Easter eggs placed in there for adult viewers.  I'd read that this latest one was the best yet, with existential characters and a deeper message.

Meh.  Not exactly.

It was good, and well written, and had some nice surprises and nods to outside films.  The animation was really good, to the point where you find yourself forgetting these characters are toys (and cartoon toys at that).  In particular Bo Peep, though ostensibly a porcelain figurine, had astonishing facial expressions, realistic yet subtle enough to not break the porcelain mold.

The "existential character" was a toy made out of trash, who feels he's no better than trash.  He keeps trying to throw himself away.

Cute, but could've been a lot more existential, a lot more heartbreaking, a lot closer to real life cases of low self esteem.  Maybe that would be depressing, I dunno.

Yeah, it's just an excuse to sell toys.  But how many kids movies don't?
Back to top Go down

Movie: Toy Story 4
Page 1 of 1