HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Power Outages

Go down 
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Power Outages Empty
PostSubject: Power Outages   Power Outages EmptyFri Dec 29, 2017 8:33 pm

Very blustery this evening, must be 60mph gusts. The noise in the big cedars around us is like ocean waves during a storm.

Standing in the kitchen with Mrs NoCo, she said "I hope we don't lose power." When she hit the word "power" the lights flickered off, then immediately came back on. This managed to reboot my computer, and lose the time on the clocks in my music room and bedroom.

Clocks in the living room and kitchen, though, stayed on. Weird.

Wednesday I was pulling out of a parking lot in my car, managed to kill the engine from sloppy clutch work, restarted immediately afterward. For some reason -- first time it's ever done this! -- this stop-start managed to reboot my car stereo. It lost the time, it lost all my pre-programmed stations, it lost the color scheme I had programmed into the display.

Trés weird.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Power Outages Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Outages   Power Outages EmptySat Dec 30, 2017 6:26 am

Power went out again in our whole neighborhood around midnight -- I'm guessing the utility crew switched us from the backup generator to the mains again.  

I noticed it when got up to pee and it was eerily dark.  I have so many status LEDs visible normally: power strips, CFCI outlets, smoke detector, nightlights, alarm clock...   Outside is even spookier.  Never been in a neighborhood that gets that dark w/o electricity  (no street lights at all, which are usually on a separate circuit).

Power came back on around 3 (I was awakened again, but not enough to get up), and I reset our nine electric clocks --including the stove & microwave -- when I got up as six.  The Apple devices do not need to be reset (in fact they're my reference).  My modem & TV also reset  themselves.  The thermostat gets its time from the wi-fi.  My two battery clocks and our two cars of course weren't affected (but DST requires we touch them too).

Why hasn't anybody invented a cheap wi-fi or Bluetooth-enabled centralized timekeeper yet?  And clocks that utilize it?
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Power Outages Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Outages   Power Outages EmptyWed May 18, 2022 1:59 pm

Another blustery day—60+ mph winds—and we lost power from 11:10 to 1:33.  May be the first time since 2017.  It's easy to forget how every little thing in our lives is dependent on AC power.

If the Russians ever go after our power grid we'll be like fish in a drained bathtub.

The sound of the transformer exploding fit right in with the music I was listening to, and for a moment I didn't realize what had happened. There were no chainsaws involved during the restoration so maybe a tree wasn't the culprit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Power Outages Empty
PostSubject: Re: Power Outages   Power Outages Empty

Back to top Go down

Power Outages
Page 1 of 1