Internet Connection Speed

Go down 
3 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

Internet Connection Speed - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Internet Connection Speed   Internet Connection Speed - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 11:51 am

But almost anyplace with powerlines and city water would be an improvement.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Internet Connection Speed   Internet Connection Speed - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 24, 2018 3:36 pm

Oh, we have those. We even have indoor plumbing.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Internet Connection Speed   Internet Connection Speed - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 24, 2018 3:44 pm

A bucket under the bed does not qualify as “indoor plumbing.”
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Internet Connection Speed   Internet Connection Speed - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 24, 2018 5:17 pm

Potato, potahto.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Internet Connection Speed   Internet Connection Speed - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 14, 2018 9:15 am

NoCoPilot wrote:
Wired connection is a whole lot faster than wireless via Bluetooth:

• 42.79 Mbps download
  • 12.10 Mbps upload
  • 12 ms ping

Swapped out my Comcast modem for their latest and bestest Xfi modem and now my wireless (wifi not Bluetooth) runs a lot faster:

• 117 Mbps download
  • 11.9 Mbps upload
  • 14 ms ping

For comparison here’s the wired speed on my desktop iMac:

• 331.98 Mbps download
  • 12.15 Mbps upload
  • 32 ms ping

However, connecting via one of my WiFi repeaters (in the music room) speeds are considerably slower:
  • 11.64 Mbps download
  • 11.18 Mbps upload
  • 23 ms ping
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Internet Connection Speed   Internet Connection Speed - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 14, 2018 3:04 pm

Wi-fi is never as fast as a wired connection, but the speeds you show for the music room are ridiculously low. There are a number of things that can cause that. Google the hell out of it and you will find a lot of things to try to find the problem.

Could be 2.4GHz vs 5GHz; could be a channel problem (NEVER use channel 6); could be a neighbor's wi-fi interfering with yours .I have recently noticed two unknown, very-low-strength wi-fi connections occasionally show up on my computer. Once I saw a wi-fi connection for an HP printer, which I don't have. And my closest neighbor who has line-of-sight to my house is about 1,000 feet away.

It could be something in the house construction causing it. Probably not your audio insulation foam, but there's a small chance of it. The first thing I would try is opening the door and placing the repeater in the doorway. It could be that simple. Or you could have another piece of wi-fi equipment in the music room which is slowing thing down due to interference.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Internet Connection Speed   Internet Connection Speed - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2019 4:45 am

Desktop:
  • 476.5 Mpbs download
  • 11.71 Mbps upload
  • 9 ms ping
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Internet Connection Speed   Internet Connection Speed - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2019 12:29 pm

Desktop again (just to see how consistent it is):
  • 474.58 download
  • 11.88 upload
  • 9 ms ping
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Internet Connection Speed   Internet Connection Speed - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2019 6:47 pm

Music room wireless:
  • 25.1 Mbps download
  • 10.9 Mbps upload
  • 14 no ping
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Internet Connection Speed   Internet Connection Speed - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 13, 2019 6:29 pm

Comcast wrote:
We’re increasing your Internet download speed—beginning September 19th.

We're making the network even better, and increasing your Internet speed from 400/10 to 500/15. Don't worry, this is included in your current Internet plan.

Since I've already been getting 476mbps, we'll see what this change does for me next week. It's not a big change probably.

I already, when downloading an album off the internet, usually complete the download before I can swap over to the screen to look at the progress monitor.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Internet Connection Speed   Internet Connection Speed - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 19, 2019 11:40 am

Tested my connection speed about an hour ago:

• 9ns ping
  • 59.9 mbps download
  • 11.7 mbps upload

Opened a chat with Xfinity, they sent some kind of signal to my modem, tested again:

• 10ns ping
  • 31.15 mbps download
  • 14.74 mbps upload

I asked Xfinity to recheck.  While she was doing this I ran another speedtest:

• 9ns ping
  • 593.92 mbps download
  • 17.93 mbps upload

Hung up from Xfinity, ran a 2nd test to make sure it was holding:

• 8ns ping
  • 594.71 mbps download
  • 17.66 mbps upload

Will test again in a few days.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Internet Connection Speed   Internet Connection Speed - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 19, 2019 12:16 pm

iPhone (direct WiFi to router):

• 12ns ping
  • 231 Mbps download
  • 17.4 Mbps upload

iPad (through a NetGear repeater to WiFi to router):

• 14ns ping
  • 24.3 Mbps download
  • 16.7 Mbps upload

I think I might try some Comcast repeaters tomorrow, I have to be right up by the Comcast store anyway.  My Ring doorbell -- which is on another repeater (TP-Link) -- refuses to stay locked in for more than a day or two.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Internet Connection Speed   Internet Connection Speed - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 19, 2019 2:20 pm

I'm sure that is just a series of types where you indicate "ns" for ping. But at the speeds you are running, they may be ns.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Internet Connection Speed   Internet Connection Speed - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 19, 2019 2:43 pm

I assumed nanoseconds.  Is that too fast?  Wasn't typos.

Oh shit you're right.  Should've been ms. Sorry.
https://www.tested.com/forums/pc-and-mac/14211-how-does-internet-ping-work-and-is-a-ping-of-79-good/
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Internet Connection Speed   Internet Connection Speed - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 11:03 am

• 9 ms ping
  • 594.39 mbps download
  • 17.75 mbps upload
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Internet Connection Speed   Internet Connection Speed - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 20, 2019 4:39 pm

NoCoPilot wrote:
Oh shit you're right.  Should've been ms.  Sorry.
In your earlier posts, you correctly defined the ping in ms. You must have gotten so excited by your new 600 Mbps download that your brain calculator reset itself to operate in a different order of magnitude.
You will never get a ping in nanoseconds. Ignoring all of the other things that slow down your ping, the speed of light inhibits the ping speed: at 186,000 miles per second, a signal travels about one foot in a nanosecond. So unless you are pinging a modem that is connected to your computer with a very short cable, you won't get pings measured in nanoseconds. Well, they could be, but they would be very large numbers - a 9ms ping would be about a  9,000,000 ns ping.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Internet Connection Speed   Internet Connection Speed - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 21, 2019 11:41 am

NoCoPilot wrote:
I think I might try some Comcast repeaters tomorrow, I have to be right up by the Comcast store anyway.  My Ring doorbell -- which is on another repeater (TP-Link) -- refuses to stay locked in for more than a day or two.
They only come in packages of 3 or 6, and the little fuckers are $40 apiece. I was using two $30 brand name WiFi expanders before, one for my ultra-shielded music room, and one right by the front door because the Ring on the outside wall couldn't see the router.

So I replaced those, and added the third to the bedroom, which is the opposite end of the house from the router. It worked before, maybe it'll work better now.

First thing I noticed, these expanders don't broadcast a separate subnetwork. They're just expansions of the main network -- as I always thought they should be.

Second thing, setup was all automatic. Plug them in, give them five minutes to configure, give them a name (optional), done. Lots easier than the last expanders.

Speed:
  • 15 ms ping
  • 54.6 Mbps download
  • 17.2 Mbps upload
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Internet Connection Speed   Internet Connection Speed - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 21, 2019 1:44 pm

Another advantage of using the Xfinity WiFi network:

The Xfinity xFi app shows you all the devices connected to your network, including my Samsung TV, my AppleTV box, my Ring doorbell, my Lyric thermostat.  Those were never visible before.

XFi allows you to create "profiles" for different users and limit what they can access.  I'm not using this but it would be useful for parents.  You can turn off or on network access by device or profile.

XFi allows you to status your Pods (extenders) which shows whether they're connected (so far 100% stable) and what device(s) if any are connected to that pod.  Since the pods automatically hand off devices to the nearest strongest network it's seamless moving from room to room.  The only way to tell where something is connected is by checking status.  In my old system you had to physically CHOOSE the subnetwork of the nearest extender.

XFi remembers everything that's ever been connected to your network.  I have my sister's phone and iPad, my sister-in-law's phone, my niece's phone -- all shown "unconnected" right now, but available for profiling.
Back to top Go down
_Howard
Admin
_Howard

PostSubject: Re: Internet Connection Speed   Internet Connection Speed - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 21, 2019 2:28 pm

_Howard wrote:
I'm sure that is just a series of types where you indicate "ns" for ping. But at the speeds you are running, they may be ns.
I just noticed that I misspelled "typos". I do know how to spell it, so it must have been a -- oh, what do you call them? --- oh yeah. A typo.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Internet Connection Speed   Internet Connection Speed - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 21, 2019 3:09 pm

_Howard wrote:
_Howard wrote:
I just noticed that I misspelled "typos". I do know how to spell it, so it must have been a -- oh, what do you call them? --- oh yeah. A typo.
More likely an "autocorrect" which didn't.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Internet Connection Speed   Internet Connection Speed - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 22, 2019 6:44 pm

Spent a couple hours today -- off and on, while I was watching my Seahawks get slaughtered -- setting up the new network.

There are 14 devices connected, but another 10 or so not connected. Some of these devices were identified, some were not.  It took a little digging -- with connected devices I could pull up their "device details" including hostname, broadcasted brand & model, operating system, connection type, connection gateway, MAC address and IP address.  By chasing down this data I was able to identify all 14 devices, and name them in the system.  Some were small surprises, for instance my iMac was broadcasting two IDs, one for its wired connection and one for WiFi.  Hopefully these two don't interfere with each other?  My AppleTV and my Samsung Smart TV and my Blu-ray player all are network connected, but their broadcasted details were sketchy at best.

On the unconnected devices, it took a little more work since you can't query the device details.  Some were clearly named -- so-and-so's phone -- so I left those alone.  Some were apparently obsolete -- old routers and expanders and phones and TV remotes that I no longer use -- so I deleted them.  Some remain total mysteries.

Got my Ring doorbell working again and it appears to be stable for the first time.  We'll see in a few days if it's still connected.

Set up profiles for me & the wife & the "household" and "guests" so each can be controlled separately (and report usage stats separately).  Looks like it might be fun, if not particularly useful.

What can I say.  It was a shitty game.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Internet Connection Speed   Internet Connection Speed - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 23, 2019 7:33 pm

Huh. Kinda odd where the devices have settled, connection-wise. My thermostat is connected to the bedroom pod, though it's probably closer to the main router. My Alexa in the kitchen has connected to the music room.

Maybe it's a traffic-balancing thing?

Yesterday I was accessing the internet 53.6% of the day.
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Internet Connection Speed   Internet Connection Speed - Page 2 EmptyWed Oct 09, 2019 11:13 am

• 7ms ping
  • 600.16 mbps download
  • 17.88 mbps upload
Back to top Go down
richard09

richard09

PostSubject: Re: Internet Connection Speed   Internet Connection Speed - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2019 5:52 am

My connection has gone tits up.
Ping 10
Download 1.69 (!)
Upload 22.77
Back to top Go down
NoCoPilot

NoCoPilot

PostSubject: Re: Internet Connection Speed   Internet Connection Speed - Page 2 EmptySat May 23, 2020 4:29 pm

I got curious how my speed is holding up during the quarantine, when everybody-and-their-brother is using Comcast's shared bandwidth.

• 589.81 mbps download

• 17.86 mbps upload

• 17 ms ping

If it's any consolation, I ran a few speed tests on my iPad using the Wi-Fi connection:

• 19.89 mbps download

• 10.30 upload

• 53 ms ping
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Internet Connection Speed   Internet Connection Speed - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Internet Connection Speed
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next